[Category 3] Wollemia Nobilis

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 31st May 2011. Click this link to find out more...
Note: This Contest is already closed

awkbabs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wollemia Nobilis
Bonsai Age: 1

[Category 3] Wollemia Nobilis

Post by awkbabs »

Name: Abdal
My age: 23
My bonsai age: 4+ months

I first developed an interest for bonsai in January this year. After extensive reading, it was not long before I was absorbed by this beautiful art.

The tree that I am submitting for Category 3 is a Wollemia Nobilis. I came across the Wollemia Nobilis in a local nursery and was intrigued by its unusual growth pattern. I decided to purchase one in March and did some extensive pruning, wiring and shaping. I have chosen to develop the tree as a twin-trunk bonsai. I root-pruned and potted it in a hexagonal Japanese Tokoname pot in mid-March. I realise that the pot is deep for the tree but this was intentional as I intend to allow it to grow for a few more seasons. I will then consider repotting it into a more shallow pot.

I have read many opinions from people saying the Wollemia Nobilis is not suitable for bonsai given its unusual foliage pattern and tendency to "drop" branches. That did not deter me from attempting to train one as a bonsai. After all, it had been Australia's hidden secret since the Jurassic era.

I hope you like my entry.

---

Details

Species: Wollemia Nobilis
Tree age: 3 years (2008 - nursery stock)
Training time: 2+ months
Height: 60cm (from base of pot)
Trunk diameter: 5cm at base

---

Thank you for your consideration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2011”