Shohin Mel in the making

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Natives, Mosses
Bonsai Age: 0

Shohin Mel in the making

Post by Hornet »

I've had this little mel for a good 8-10 months now, purchased for like $3 at bunnings in a 50mm tube (stil in it). Its in dire need of repotting so will get it into a small orchid pot soon. it dried out the other day and lost all its foliage and since i was considering cutting at this low branch for a while i thought i may aswell do it now. Just want a couple of opinions on how short i could make this while still making it look realistic, i was hoping for 10-15cm, what do you guys think (Pup?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Shohin Mel in the making

Post by Pup »

G,day mate since you asked my opinion. First up what species of Mel as there are well over 200. The other, this is yes I have them that size, posted here on the site ( the search function is a good thing).

Now plant your tree on an angle so you hide the scar and you get more movement, the taper I see is quite good. Just sit back and watch it sprout new shoots, it will shoot more with fertiliser. Not a Tonic as in seasol, Yates fruit and flower at full strength.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

its a linearfolia (should of added that in the original post). have 3 more which i want to grow as slightly larger (30-40cm) tree's but this one looked good for a shohin due to the taper and placement of the first branch and plus after showing the missus your AA battery size tree's shes been bugging me for one so thought i'd give it a go with a nice forgiving species.
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

And i wasnt asking can you make mels into tiny shito sized tree's, i wanted to know looking at the trunk as it is now, is that tiny size realisit or should i aim for 15cm+?
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Hornet wrote:And i wasnt asking can you make mels into tiny shito sized tree's, i wanted to know looking at the trunk as it is now, is that tiny size realisit or should i aim for 15cm+?

I do have a Melaleuca cuticularis at 7cm, base at 2.5 and taper all the way so you can do it and they do look like the real deal.

Next time I will post with out the Batteries, so you can see and make up your mind.

!5 cm is a realistic size as well. Big head me have them all. :whistle:

Cheers Pup :wave:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

Cheers mate, repotted it into an orchid pot tonight on an angle that works with the new leader. had to take off a good amount of roots as it was planted very deep, a good 5cm of trunk under the soil with a few thick and twisted tap roots under that. Luckily being a mel its produced a good few roots further up the trunk near the soil line so it shouldnt have any drama's getting going again. Next species i will be working on is melaleuca howeana, have 2 rooted cuttings that i plan to use a shohin and use what ever i chop off to propagate more plants. Will keep you updated :)

John
Hornet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Hornet »

Fairly poor pic but can see the new angle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zero
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by zero »

Do u have an update photo of the little fella.

Return to “Shohin”