Casuarina Torulosa

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: Casuarina Torulosa

Post by jezz_39 »

Thanks for tips fellas.

So the styling of the tree, no good??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

It looks like the top of the tree is leaning heavily towards the front and the apex looks a bit confusing. The branch with 2 wires near the top looks too thick and long. The top section the trunk looks to be the same thickness, and the first branch goes straight out and is too thin. Sorry for being so hard on your tree, but it is only my view from one photo. The previous pictures you posted had one where the top looks like it was pulled over more, this may be a better option.

If it were my tree would take all the wire off the tree and let it straighten a bit and grow it strongly for the rest of this season, then cut back fairly hard all the branches and maybe even the trunk to create taper, wire some movement in the trunk if it was too straight, then grow again selecting new shoots on branches growing in a direction to create movement and cutting back again to build taper in the branches and create some ramification. Casuarina in the wild tend to have fairly upright trunks with twisted, bent gnarly branches.

Maybe post some more picture from a few different angles and from lower down so we are not looking slightly down on the tree and we may get a better idea of other options.

Good luck with it.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Looking good Jeremy. Looks like you have some upward pointing secondary branches. Watch them as they will be very dominant and you will loose the lower branches. Don't be afraid to cut back hard (even into old wood) as it will bounce back with heaps of branch choices. The dead wood on these is like a sponge and will rot very fast. Best not to encourage dead wood if you can avoid it.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

I have persisted with the styling of this Torulosa and 6 months later I think it presents a better image now.
Currently running a sacrifice on the first branch to strengthen it, later on it will have more movement wired into it. The apex has been my main challenge as it is relatively weak, trying to balance energy to get more shoots in the area and re-wire it all.

Admittedly Ive been lazy and grabbing handfuls of foliage and pucking to desired length :whistle: come spring time I will sit down for a few hours thinning everything out and getting more definition in the branch work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Unwired, branches chopped back to first node where possible, re-wired. Ready for the coming season, I am hoping to get it into a bonsai pot this spring in an effort to control growth.
Regards,
Jeremy
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Looking good Jezz.

That stub is mightily distracting though!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

That's a very interesting look when it's so sparse - works for me. It's hard to tell in 2D, but the trunk curves in the LHS photo look very well balanced to me - possible front? You'd have to reposition everything, of course. It's a good excuse to funk up the branches with curves just like the top of the trunk.

Please keep posting it as you go,

Gavin
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

On a casuarina, you need to get rid of that dead wood, otherwise you are laying a red carpet down for the bad guys.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227

Return to “Shohin”