Yamadori Shohin Potential

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Yamadori Shohin Potential

Post by Watto »

When we generally talk about yamadori it is usually about large trees. Now I for one like a good big tree but recently I have had the opportunity to dig a few potential shohin. I use the word yamadori loosely because none of these came from the mountains but they are all dug either in 2014 or 2015 and I hope that at least a couple will make the grade into a bonsai pot.
The plum dug from a local garden in 2014 has had some work done to it and is coming along
The English Elm has some size about the trunk so I hold out hope for this one, it was dug "by the side of the road" in 2015
The plum dug in 2015 was in the same area as the Elm and I thought it was another Elm, but .........
The Pyracantha was dug in 2015 from a grass path where it was mowed on a regular basis
I hold out great hope for all of them as they all have good established root systems and appear to be doing quite well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Yamadori Shohin Potential

Post by Watto »

Also in 2015 I dug (from a secret Goulburn Bonsai Society spot) a Chinese Elm which to be honest looked better in the ground, but again I hold out great hope that it will be in a bonsai pot sooner rather than later. I understand it needs some decisions made and some considerable work but that is all the more fun. I haven't decided on a "front" yet but when that is done work can commence. I would appreciate some words of wisdom on your preferences.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Love a good shohin and there's plenty of potential in all of these.
Particularly like the English Elm 2015! :yes:
It seems you love a colander too for growing your trees on, working well for you - plenty of healthy growth. Thanks for posting! :tu:

PS : I like Chinese Elm (one side) as a front...
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Watto,

I like them all - you are a busy man.

The other day, searching google for inspiration i came across a Watto blog. Is that yours?

All photos and story related to a Japanese Bonsai tour - great photos. I really enjoyed reading the story - you took some fantastic photos.

Thanks for that as well. I didn't find what i was looking for but I really savoured your photos.

It also sounded as you thoroughly enjoyed your time in Japan Too.

Thanks,

Kevin
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks Ryceman, the thing with the Chinese Elm is that one side it is tall and curvy, and the other it is short and powerful. Only time will tell.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Japan seems so long ago now Kevin, but I would recommend it to everyone.

Return to “Shohin”