Nire geyaki or Hokkeido elm

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Nire geyaki or Hokkeido elm

Post by Pup »

G,day again Jarrod I have been putting down the cuttings today. I got 26 stem cuttings and 24 root cuttings will have to wait and see what strike rate I get.
I have tried something different from what I usually do like stick it in the pot with the parent.
I got some seed raising trays and planted them in, so lets hope.

Also what you said about small leaved elms reminded me of the Catlin elm. It is a faster grower than Hokkeido and I think more readily available.
I have some pics so with the cuttings and them, Cheers :) Pup
P1080822.JPG
P1080823.JPG
P1080824.JPG
P1080825.JPG
P1080826.JPG[/attac[attachment=0]P1080827.JPG
hment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

An up date on these trees that had been cut back 10 days ago, we are told they are slow growers. They might be in colder climes because these have burst away.

I have also shortened one of them even further. The top is also showing signs of life from 5 days ago. So you might be lucky Jamie :!: :roll:

Any way here they are. Cheers :) Pup
P1090178.JPG
P1090182.JPG
P1090183.JPG
P1090184.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

wooooooohooooo!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks pup :oops: :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

Hokkaido elms (as well Seijus) have become my favourite trees. I have three about 20-25cms high and this wonderful stock tree which is the pride of my collection. If I let the shoots grow out they definitely do regress (if that's the word) to Seiju leaves.
Last edited by Ron on February 24th, 2010, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Here is an update on my journey with, the Hokkeido I was given by my freind gradualy bringing it down and another cutting put down. Useing the cloch method.
100mm pot and the bottom of a coke bottle.
Elms ( ulmus varietys ) varietys are best struck in early to late summer, and cuttings also have in my case a better strike rate. The part I took of is 10mm so it should give me a bit of trunk.
There is debate over the roots ( nebari ) at the moment you will see I have cut the bottom as if I were sharpening a pencil. This will allow for roots to develop all around.
When this happens and they are strong. I will then split the base and wedge it open so we get taper as well the splits will also have roots develop from there so we have more roots.
This is done from the start with Ficus cutting's. I just like to make sure these small leaf one start to fire first plus some of the cuttings are to small to split.

Any way here we are as of today 03-03-2010 10am.

Cheers :) Pup
P1090408.JPG
P1090411.JPG
P1090412.JPG
P1090414.JPG
P1090415.JPG
P1090416.JPG
P1090417.JPG
P1090418.JPG
P1090421.JPG

MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

A hard days work pup :) How long will it stay under the cloch & will you have to give it any extra protection over winter? Would be really interested to know about your growing area set up? I would like to get back into growing mame trees but am not sure the best way to go at it. I went over to large trees for the relative ease of day to day care.

I am now thinking how many cuttings can i get out of 1 tree 8-) I bought it for the trunk $30 and the free camelia seedling :mrgreen: I will wait till next season to do anything to it but am looking forward to all the offcuts.
RIMG0160a.JPG
RIMG0162a.JPG
Lots of roots to come off aswell, one has been kind enough to shoot ready for me. Some real thick ones had escaped the pot.

Matt
Last edited by MattA on March 5th, 2010, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

G,day Matt I will not need to give it any aditional protection over winter. I do have a fig house which is a frame that has a super six fence as the back wall alsynite roof with shade cloth.
It is ten degrees hotter in there I have it open on all sides at the moment except the fence.
When the weather starts to cool I roll down the flaps.
That is all.
Cheers :) Pup

Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Jarrod wrote:I was actually hoping there would be a different variety that you had. It doesn't explain the Quote in the book, unless it was an incorrect translation??

It's a lovely variety and perfect for the smallest trees. Your mame are very special and I can see they bring you much joy.

I just hope that my little one grows into something special in time. I will be taking cuttings from it.
Hello Jarrod, After we had these discussions, and we thought we had it settled I was still some what confused.
So when we had Hirotoshi Saitoh here in September, I took a couple of my minis to see what he would say design wise.
Among them was a couple( as they are small you can do more) of the Geyaki/ Keyaki elms. It turns out that the Japanese understanding of the Letters G and K are very much the same as in pronunciation.

So in fact it can be both, it depends on your translator/translation.

I hope this helps to somewhat in clearing up the point. An interesting side note was when Bill Valavanis visited us, he said they were japanese corky bark elms.
Which would make them Ulmus davidiana. Which was the Ulmus that the late Ron Anderson of Melbourne, introduced to the eastern seaboard.
Cheers Pup

Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Hi Pup,

Just seeing if you are still growing these? You'd hope that even a Hokkaido Elm at the rate they grow has changed a little in 5 years :P

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Return to “Shohin”