Mame Chinese Elm Repot

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Mame Chinese Elm Repot

Post by PeterW »

Hector Johnson wrote:Sorry... miscommunication. I meant it would look overpotted in the tapered pot but will work out well in the bottom pot setting. I realised it has been growing on in the tan rectangle.
I am again rushing a tree into a pot even though i made a commitment to myself that i wont do that anymore! I should develop some surface roots first instead of potting it in the new pot! Bugger.....cant help myself! :oops:
Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Any more opinions? Come on dont be shy, tell me which pot and why. Then i will give my opininion.
Peter
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

Deleted by author
Last edited by Hector Johnson on March 2nd, 2009, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I don't think either are right for the tree. The stand out item is the pot. In #1 the colourations make the pot stronger than the tree, #2 is better in this regard but I still feel the tree and the pot should harmonise and to my taste both pots overwhelm the tree. Also, the gravel is very strong and is calling out for attention as well so instead of having a unified item you have three things demanding top billing and the elm, being the quieter of the three, doesn't get the star status that it deserves. The elm is a charmer and I think it can be enhanced more beautifully with a pot of more neutral colour.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Peter,

I agree with Lee that a more neutral pot is better suited. What about a drum pot like this one;
Drum pot.jpg
If you really want to put it in one of the pots in the virtuals then I would suggest No. 1 - it simply looks better to me.

Regards,
Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Peter It is definitely Mame. Going on just about all who grow them commercially and for fun.
Morten Albeks book is a good one.
Pots for Shito Mame and Shohin do not have the same criteria, as there larger counterparts.
Pots can be even for Conifer coloured and glazed.
So if you wish to go for bright colours you can. I like this tree and can see a great future for it. :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Hi Pup,

Out of the two choices that Peter has given us for a pot, which one would you choose, were it yours?

Cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

Deleted by author
Last edited by Hector Johnson on March 2nd, 2009, 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Hector Johnson wrote:I have a very nice little master-made Japanese pot you might like to try with this tree, Peter.
It's 128mm x 107mm x 47mm and about 95 years old. Unglazed, burnish finish in tan.
Photo below. Sorry for photo quality, dodgy camera.
Of the two choices I would go with the smaller. Given the third choice I would like in some thing like this one as Hector said dodgy pic.

I have several small elms in various colours will post in another post. As I said when it comes to the smaller trees it changes a LOT.

Ps for development purposes a bigger pot till you are ready for a display.

Milehigh_7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that will grow in 46C+ and 5% humidity
Bonsai Age: 17

Post by Milehigh_7 »

I am partial to choice number 1 for this tree. Pot number 1 has a more natural, balanced flow top to bottom. Pot number 2 makes the tree appear top heavy and out of balance. These are subtleties that betray my bias toward a naturalistic styling of trees.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Thanks everybody for taking the time to comment.
Out of the two pots i posted initially, i like the smaller one the best for its masculine feel. I dont think either are completely suitable for this tree, but as Pup has stated and i do agree, the combination between tree and pot tends to "loosen" up a bit with this size tree, making it ok for such a combination. With the benifit of having another week to look at this tree i have decided to get over the urge of getting it into a pot so quickly and spend the time on developing the tree further, as it should be.
I loved the little pot that Hector put forward, and also Steven's choice.
I agree with everything Pup mentioned regarding development and the consessions that these smaller trees get.
MelaQuin was the first to mention that neither pot was the best choice and i do agree. The pots somewhat overcomes the tree. (the gravel is akadama Lee, its growing in it)
Hector's comment "i wouldnt stress to much about rushing the tree" made me stop and revisit why i was even considering potting it yet.

Generally speaking everybodies comments were useful and contributed to my decision to leave the tree were it is for now, its not going anywhere and neither is the pot!

Thanks so much for all your efforts with this thread, i will update it when the tree has improved (hopefully)
Regards,
Peter
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Very good choice Peter they take longer to develop in the right pot. Keep us posted. :) Pup

PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Pup wrote:Very good choice Peter they take longer to develop in the right pot. Keep us posted. :) Pup
Thank you for helping me come to the right decision Pup and yes i will update the post.
Regards
Peter

Return to “Shohin”