Banksia integrifolia as small bonsai.

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Banksia integrifolia as small bonsai.

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

As some of our members already know, I have little interest in growing trees above 30cm tall. Banksia integrifolia is a species that I have been maintaining and experimenting with for a few seasons and I'm encouraged by what I have seen so far. I am keen to go beyond what I have done to date and pursue growing integrifolias trunks in the field and developing them into good quality trees.

As we have some very experienced growers of this species on this forum, I have a primary question, the answer to which will help me decide whether to proceed with them and to what extent.

What would be the reasonable minimum size that B.integrifolia could be grown to in bonsai cultivation and remain convincing, with the leaves in scale with the height of the tree?

Qualities that I am determined to achieve are:
Mature and uniform foliage throughout the tree for a decent portion of the year.
Decent branch arrangements of a minimum: defined 1st, 2nd and rear branch then a crown, still clearly made up of individual minor branches.
Branches free from awkward straight, budless sections commonly found in unchecked growth of this species.
Branches that have taper, making a canopy width of between 75% and 125% the height of the tree.
Primary branches no greater than 50% of the trunk diameter at point of attachment.
and of course a well formed, structured and radial nebari.

For this species, I am prepared to go to 40cm in height but no taller.

Maintenance time on these trees to achieve the design goals are a non issue, besides having a small amount of labour available to me, time required will determine if I grow 3, 20 or 100 trees.

I stress that I would prefer to hear from those that have 1st hand experience with Banksia inegrifolia, but would also value un-exaggerated 2nd hand knowledge from informed members and as politely as possible, I would like to keep suppositions to a minimum.

Any assistance with the cultural needs of these trees to produce the results I am hoping for would also be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to reply by PM or in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Banksia integrifolia as small bonsai.

Post by Pup »

Hi ya Mojo, I have had no experience with B, integrifolia but I am growing two species that might meet the requirements you are after.

That is of course you can get the over there. One is a new bred one called Mini Marge, as the name would suggest it is a miniature Banksia, I have only been growing it six months but it does show promise, the other is Banksia telmatiaea ( common name for this one is Swamp Fox Banksia) it has needle like foliage.

This one I have been growing for 12 months and again shows promise to being a small tree.

Will post some pics up soon.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
lacertilian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by lacertilian »

Hi,
I'm not going to give you details as per your request, as I am not one of the experienced growers. Just a couple of photos to show leaf reduction that I have managed in a month or two of chopping this Banksia integrifolia.
27012013199.jpg
27012013200.jpg
Excuse the lighting, it's approaching dusk here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Pup wrote:Hi ya Mojo, I have had no experience with B, integrifolia but I am growing two species that might meet the requirements you are after.

That is of course you can get the over there. One is a new bred one called Mini Marge, as the name would suggest it is a miniature Banksia, I have only been growing it six months but it does show promise, the other is Banksia telmatiaea ( common name for this one is Swamp Fox Banksia) it has needle like foliage.

This one I have been growing for 12 months and again shows promise to being a small tree.

Will post some pics up soon.

Cheers Pup
Mini Marg might be worth a look Mr Oakley, as for availability, just googled it and one of my neighbours owns a wholesale nursery that grows it. Talk about convenient. Thanks for the leads.

Cheers,
Mojo

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

lacertilian wrote:Hi,
I'm not going to give you details as per your request, as I am not one of the experienced growers. Just a couple of photos to show leaf reduction that I have managed in a month or two of chopping this Banksia integrifolia.
27012013199.jpg
27012013200.jpg
Excuse the lighting, it's approaching dusk here.

Thanks lacertilian. I can get the leaves to reduce fairly well, my biggest concern is uniform leaf size across the trees.

Cheers,
Mojo

Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Another question:
Does selective defoliation by occasionally removing the largest leaves from the tree work as it would for a deciduous tree?

Cheers,
Mojo

anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Mojo Moyogi wrote:Another question:
Does selective defoliation by occasionally removing the largest leaves from the tree work as it would for a deciduous tree?

Cheers,
Mojo
AHHHH YES to defoliate or not to defoliate ??? that is the question !!! :lost:
Regards Antonio:
JR_J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples, Flowering Trees, Satsuki, Natives
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: YVBS, BSV, VNBC

Post by JR_J »

Hi Mojo,
:imo: To defoliate or not to defoliate is not a question!!! I've achieved a great leave reduction with defoliation on my Banksias - Craig has as well, and we know what his Banksias look like. :worship:
The "Marge" Pup is talking about could be a Banksia marginata dwarf form, which is readily available, but I'm not sure. :lost:
There’s also a Banksia "Roller Coaster" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksia_%2 ... Coaster%27), which is a vigorous ground-hugging plant that can spread to 4 or 5 m across yet remains only 50 cm high. Maybe worth a look at as well?! ;) Same chunky trunk as the standard one - I had two which Tan Baloc has got now.
Hope this helps :fc:
Cheers,
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

anttal63 wrote:
Mojo Moyogi wrote:Another question:

Cheers,
Mojo
AHHHH YES to defoliate or not to defoliate ??? that is the question !!! :lost:
:D :D :D

So, Tony: integrifolias can make red hot Shohin/Chuhin or do you reckon they are better as large trees. I have always appreciated your honesty so fire away.

Cheers,
Mojo
Last edited by Mojo Moyogi on January 28th, 2013, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

JR_J wrote:Hi Mojo,
:imo: To defoliate or not to defoliate is not a question!!! I've achieved a great leave reduction with defoliation on my Banksias - Craig has as well, and we know what his Banksias look like. :worship:
The "Marge" Pup is talking about could be a Banksia marginata dwarf form, which is readily available, but I'm not sure. :lost:
There’s also a Banksia "Roller Coaster" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksia_%2 ... Coaster%27), which is a vigorous ground-hugging plant that can spread to 4 or 5 m across yet remains only 50 cm high. Maybe worth a look at as well?! ;) Same chunky trunk as the standard one - I had two which Tan Baloc has got now.
Hope this helps :fc:
Cheers,

Thanks Rudi. I'll check out Roller Coaster, could be great for semi and full cascades. I gather that you think leaf reduction is possible for what I am intending to grow, that's good news.

Cheers,
Mojo

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Mojo,
Mini Marg is a true dwarf form of B. marginata - small leaves, short internodes, small flowers so should suit shohin. Might be slow to develop though. Normal (inland) marginatas seem to be less hardy than integrifolia for me. Seems to appreciate a larger pot or prone to drop dead if it gets a bit dry. There should be dwarf integrifolias because they do grow on exposed coastal heaths in places but may not have taken off in the trade yet??

Roller Coaster is very vigorous as JRJ points out. The ones I have in the garden have even larger leaves than the normal tree form and also have quite long internodes. Might be worth trying as a larger cascade but :imo: not worth spending time on as bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Hi ya Mojo here are a couple of pics I took this morning, I think you might have seen them by now though.

I did not know about Mini marge being a natural miniature, but am happy with that.
Here are the pics.
P1150791.JPG
P1150793.JPG
P1150796.JPG
P1150803.JPG
P1150812.JPG
P1150818.JPG
Hope these are of some help mate.

Cheers Pup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Mojo, I don't see any advantage in using dwarf forms as the leaves on standard integ will reduce easily with defoliation and regular leaf pruning, you will get a much quicker result with the tree forms. I have a few of the prostrate form here and they seem to have much longer internodes This species would work really well for all but the smallest shohin and could make great chuhin but it takes a long time for the bark to crack.
If you are field growing them you need to prevent the roots wandering off too far by using a spade and when you lift them leave the tree undisturbed for a couple of seasons to settle down and fill the pot with roots.
I have never seen an old bonsai marginata in my experience they are very touchy.
Craigw
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Yes Mojo you definately rip in and defoliate integras and watch them reward you with prolific budding and great leaf reduction. As Craig has pointed out, they are the pick of the bunch in terms of all round brilliant performance. I think they will proportionise well on a large shohin with power in the trunk. No mames or bush stick lookin bonsai though. The real question is will we see some exciting trunklines and forms rather than more of the static uninteresting trees that already exist ??? Thats enough honesty for one day or is it ??? :tu: :tu: :tu:
Regards Antonio:
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

Hi Mojo,

I wont classify myself as experienced enough to give opinions on the cultivation of B.integrifolias but I do have a natuarlly dwarfed variety here called "sentinel". It grows naturally to about 2.5 metres and without doing anything at all, the leaves are about 30 to 40mm long. I imagine you could reduce that more. It has very short internodes and it seems extremely vigourous. It might be worth a look?

Squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................

Return to “Shohin”