Banksia integrifolia as small bonsai.

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Re: Banksia integrifolia as small bonsai.

Post by craigw60 »

Mojo, I just use the raised beds because it makes it easier to work the trees while they are in ground. The only work I do is spade work and pruning to eliminate multiple branching and any one point. I wonder if you are growing for shohin whether it would be better to growing them in a decent sized colander ?

Matthew if you haven't put a spade around the roots then you should do it soon and give them a big drink then some seasol afterwards. I would have thought october may be a little early for lifting them depending on what your temps and night temps are at that time of year, early Jan would be when I do them here.
Craigw
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

craigw60 wrote:Mojo, I just use the raised beds because it makes it easier to work the trees while they are in ground. The only work I do is spade work and pruning to eliminate multiple branching and any one point. I wonder if you are growing for shohin whether it would be better to growing them in a decent sized colander ?

Matthew if you haven't put a spade around the roots then you should do it soon and give them a big drink then some seasol afterwards. I would have thought october may be a little early for lifting them depending on what your temps and night temps are at that time of year, early Jan would be when I do them here.
Craigw
Craig will do that might wait till the weather settles next week. Yes it can still go minus here in oct so i will wait i think, Was just going off the old spring repotting theme. I will do mine approx to you as you have had plenty of practical experiance.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Matthew, I root prune all my natives at the same time as the figs and they don't miss a beat. I know there are people around who do them in the spring but they probably live in areas with more consistent warm weather.
Craigw
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

My limited experienc but quite extensive trials over the past 3 years agrees with Craig. Banksia root work any time through late spring and summer. Late Oct seems ok but I try to hold off until November. Banksias repotted in Dec, Jan, Feb all recovered quickly but the ones root pruned in March sulked right through winter then recovered the following November.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Shohin”