Bring on winter

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Bring on winter

Post by MattA »

I prefer to ground grow alot of my stock including shohin & thought I would share one that will be dug for the first time this winter, I am not 100% certain but have been told its a persimmon. Started life as a hardwood cutting winter '09, repotted & root work done spring '10 and planted in the ground march '11 with root work also done at that time. It has been pruned regularly since then to build movement & options, a chance low bud in jan 12 was allowed to grow freely until feb 13 when it needed removing as it was putting pressure on the 2 branches it went between, its done the job of fattening the base nicely so I didnt mind.
per3.jpg
per4.jpg
per2.jpg
per5.jpg
per6.jpg
I can see a few possibilities but until its bare & out of the ground I have no idea what will be kept & what removed before the next round of growing & thats what makes the first dig so much fun, bring on winter :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Re: Bring on winter

Post by Neli »

Are you going to use all the big branches or you will remove them. Still have not figured out how to build a sumo trunk with lots of tapper, but not too much scars.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: Bring on winter

Post by MattA »

At this stage I dont know what will be kept or cut, late winter when its dug will answer all...

Growing a scarless sumo trunk requires lots of sacrifice branching & a species that will heal over the cuts when they are removed (trident, fig etc)
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"

Return to “Shohin”