Casuarina Torulosa

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Casuarina Torulosa

Post by jezz_39 »

Having been inspired by Steven's Torulosa in the last Shohin comp I've been working on a little one myself.
The low sacrfice branch was beginning to rob too much energy so was cut down about a fortnight ago, the rest of the tree kicked into gear quite quickly so was due for a pluck today. Most of the primary branches are in place, will wire some more secondaries and do a more diligent branch selection in mid spring when it receives another haircut. Looking at the slight restyle today, I can see the first branches need to extend a bit more to balance the tree.
Depending on progress, should be into a pot mid summer or next year. I apologise for the quality of photos, I only have my phone handy and a poor background being the house :palm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Jeremy
Ozmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop

Re: Casuarina Torulosa

Post by Ozmad »

Nice little tree
But :imo: , the first branch on the tree is coming straight at us. Thats if the picture that is post 'front' is the front of the tree.
other wise the tree needs turning more to the right,
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by matty-j »

hey jezz

a great start, i was also inspired by stevens torulosa and started my own :tu:
:imo: i really like the trunk line on the photo marked 'left' the taper looks great
just an idea!!

cheers
matt
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Thanks for your opinions fellas. From looking at trees in the flesh, then studying the photos I see the tree differently, but even better to get perspective from anothers eyes :yes:
Ozmad, I see what you're saying about the first branch being a front, I personally didnt see it as a problem but can see the merit on moving it more to the left and removing the secondary branch that moves to the right. Something to ponder while I wait for the next haircut. For now I'll just let it do its thing until the new shoots begin to lignify, and make some more decisions.

Maty, I agree about the taper from the left, however, from this angle I lose the nice bend at the base and have a seemingly straight trunk leading to a chaotic apex. At this stage i'm happy with the front I've chosen, give or take 20 degrees. But a tree is never finished and everything will be taken into consideration.
Regards,
Jeremy
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Jeremy, I like your front and agree that it makes the most of the lovely bend at the base :tu2:
I think your sacrifice has done its job and I would remove it completely to give it time to heal.
Also agree that if you are using the front view you posted, to remove the eye poking left part of the front branch and keep the portion flowing to the right...perhaps rewire though to enhance direction/movement etc.
I like what you have done re your styling :yes: If it were mine (and clearly it is not), I would consider trunk chopping just below the first branch and then rebuilding the tree. It would take longer but you could create more taper in the section just above the current sacrifice branch by using another sacrifice branch for this second trunk section (would need to keep a close eye on things if you do this though). It would also eliminate the straight section of trunk and allow you to enhance the lovely movement in the base by selecting a new lower leader and wiring in the movement (although it would take a little time to replace that sweet bark).
Jeremy that is my :2c: and it may not be valid as I can't see the tree in person, and it probably isn't necessary anyway as you have the makings of a lovely tree...but maybe something to think about :?:
I need to get more torulosa myself as they are beautiful trees!
Terrific work Jeremy, cheers, Dario.
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Thanks for your considerations, Dario.
At this stage I've been reluctant to chop too low as there have been no buds pushing through the lower section which is barked up quite nicely. Not entirely sure how these guys go with back budding?
I am now eyes open to your observation. I was seeing the first branch as being a left branch as thats where the movement leads, however, it could also be a right branch, albeit a touch shorter so the apex and thus the whole tree still moves to the left?
Another great opinion to ponder while we enter spring :yes: Im told these guys bark up very quickly and the sacrifice branch is already begininning to fissure, I will leave it a little longer until I see what is happening below the soil.

Since reading the opinions of members here, I can see myself moving the first branch either to the left or right, and as that happens, the apex can be further compressed and more movement incorporated.
Im not sure if its the photos, or im just blind in 3d photos, but I believe the wire on the apex may be contributing to the feeling of lack of taper in the top section?? Either way, I will try to retain a sacrifice branch towards the base of the apex to fix any possible problems.

Thank you once again fellas, and I look forward to any other critiques people can come up with. Keep in mind I have only began bonsai in the last 18 months, have never been to a class and have been 'self taught' through the wealth of knowledge I have come across on the internet.
Regards,
Jeremy
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Casuarina Torulosa

Post by kcpoole »

Nice trunk, but that thick branch has to go sooner rather than later. It will never look any good as its far too thick.

Th rob section needs shortening too and they backbud really well so no worries there

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Thanks for the comment, Ken.
I guess I'll have to make a consideration sooner rather than later. With the sacrifice branch I was thinking of a jin as I have seen a larger Torulosa in one of Bodhi's posts about the slow healing point, but having cut a bit of the old top off as seen in the first photo, the wood seems way too soft to be jinned.
The way I see it, if I remove the right hand secondary on the first branch, I can compres the apex by another few centimetres which would eliminate the seemingly long straightish section of trunk??
Regards,
Jeremy
Ozmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop

Post by Ozmad »

Hi Jezz

Having seen the Casuarina many times at pups house and how hard he cuts them back, I know it will bud back on the main trunk lower down and every where else. Casuarina's bud back very well from hard cutting back. Dont be scared to cut it back hard if you think you need to, or if you think to re-stylelater on. I also think you should remove the sacrifice branch as well, as this will push more energy into the rest of the tree and cause more back budding
Shannon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Clerodendrum
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Sunshine Coast, BCI

Post by Shannon »

Good work Jezz.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Dario »

Hi Jeremy, not really a "virt" I only removed the sacrifice and the left section of the first branch so you can see how that looks.
I hear you what you said about the jin vs total removal and you do what feels right for you design wise as it is your tree :yes:
In the pic the first branch seems to leave the trunk at a nice angle (before it forks in to two), and that initial direction (where it is attached to the trunk), seems to be towards the right...that is why I suggest making it a right branch. If you made it a left branch only (by removing the right portion), it would then do a slight u-turn at the front of your tree. Yes, you may want a left branch from a design perspective, but it is a suggestion only and something to think about.
Sit with the tree for a bit and digest what has been said by everyone and then do what feels right to you...no need to "rush" into anything.
Cas 4 J.png
jezz_39 wrote: Thank you once again fellas, and I look forward to any other critiques people can come up with. Keep in mind I have only began bonsai in the last 18 months, have never been to a class and have been 'self taught' through the wealth of knowledge I have come across on the internet.
I think you are doing a great job of it Jeremy! :tu2:
I look forward to seeing what you choose to do with it in the future, and I also want to see what is under the soil... so when you repot please post some pics :tu2:
Cheers, Dario.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Thanks for the virt, Dario. It really puts things into perspective :cool:
At this stage I will sit with it and make some decisions later in the year, if I went this way I can move the back branch a little to the left to fill in the void and add depth.
And if I go the other way and retain the first left branch, it allows me to compress the top section further which would bring the top right hand branch closer to the first branch, again filling a bit of a void.

Will keep you all updated at repotting time :yes:
Regards,
Jeremy
jezz_39
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by jezz_39 »

Re-worked the tree today, the jin still needs work and treatment, just drying and splitting nicely at the moment. After wiring i think i found a new front.
Regards,
Jeremy
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Yeah, just a tip if you are thinking of making jin.... don't. This tree is so susceptible to borers. I find cut & clean is the best method for the removal of branches. Often throughout the bush you will see these gnarly beasts slowly leaning, and it aint to get better angles of sun, it is from the borers that are attacking the trunk.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I have to agree with bonsaibuddyman about borers loving casuarina. I have grown orchids for over 10 years and casuarina makes a great host for epiphytic orchids, especially the natives. But I have never had a section of branch last a year without being riddled with borers and within 2 be nothing but the bark and sawdust.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Shohin”