Twisted mini JBP - how to avoid reverse taper

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Twisted mini JBP - how to avoid reverse taper

Post by squizzy »

Hi jow.

I guess I thought the wire marks would grow out quicker then that. May have to put more thought into removing wire at the sacrifice if some if the fattening? Other option is that I do all 70 and get 10 good ones that have ok taper.

I like you theory on the 10% thickness thing also. I would never have considered these trees being any smaller then shohin.

Squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

bonsaisensation wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but why do you all leave the wire to bite in like that?
As Jason had shown in the photos he took in Japan, the wire scar is still clearly visible. It might grow out in a few more years with more thickening and bark forming flaky texture. But I would think that the spiral scar will still be noticeable . So I'm not quite sure of the advantage of it. :lost:

Regards
I recall seeing a field grower of pines in Japan using this technique and the spiral scars were still visible up to very old age - they seem to always be "almost gone".

The issue is once you create that division, it never really joins back up. The plates formed on jbp will be split along the length of the wire bite and will stay that way pretty much forever. At best, it will become difficult to see in photos, from a distance, and to the untrained eye.

Again this is just based on what I saw and the discussion that was had with the grower.

Note: this was in a video - if I can find it I will.

In other words, if anyone is hoping these will look the same as a JBP grown normally and thickened through years of growth - forget it. But they might get close enough that most people wont notice.

Cheers,
Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
treebuilder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 14

Post by treebuilder »

Hi Mate, maybe with some of them you could use the main part as a sacrifice and grow the next stage of the tree from the very small shoot. This would remove the second reverse taper area . The grey circle(2) may end up looking better later on or you couls possible take a small concave cut from the area and it will fill in with less pronounced reverse taper, or leave it and turn it into a Shari on the lower bend at a later stage. gd luck with them .
25354678ede177ed93da7cfca4e99c3d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Twisted mini JBP - how to avoid reverse taper

Post by MoGanic »

Sorry guys, cannot seem to find the video online - might have been removed.

Cheers,
Mo

Edit: FOUND IT

https://vimeo.com/8052130

God that was an effort lol.

Mo
Last edited by MoGanic on March 10th, 2015, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
gerald randall
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, Ficus
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Cape

Post by gerald randall »

I have been experimenting for a couple of years with this technique. I have been severely criticised for using the technique by purists. The reality is that it thickens pines, junipers and cypresses much quicker. What I did the first few times was to shove the wire into the ground at the base of the tree and wire. Twist as I required. The result, reverse taper. The wire at the bottom of the tree is just too lose to dig in as quickly as the top. What I also noticed was that the more it bends, the more it digs in. Logic dictates that the wire tightens with the bend. This is not the case with the bottom of the tree as the lose wire doesn't have the leverage to hold to the tree and create a significant bend. So, I now do this when I'm repotting. Take off some of the upper roots, or work through them. Affix the wire as low down as possible by making a ring and a twist directly to the tree. The ring will bite as quickly as the rest. Then twist the wire close together near the bottom and less so as I go up the tree. Thus, tight and close wIring at the bottom and loser and further apart on the way up. No reverse taper. What I must stress is that I have snapped a couple of trees as the wire inside the tree does seem to weaken the structure in the first few years. But, we are all learning something new everyday. I definitely do. Still trying to figure this technique out. Unfortunately I'm a first generation bonsai grower. I hope this helps though.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

I heard from someone after we got back from Japan that they use wire twice on the tree.

Once with the tree small.
P1000173.jpg
Then a few years later another wire is used' probably leaving the wider apart marks seen earlier in the thread.

So 2 wires; not just one.

Anyone tried this?

Grant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

:palm:
Grant Bowie wrote:I heard from someone after we got back from Japan that they use wire twice on the tree.

Once with the tree small.
P1000173.jpg
Then a few years later another wire is used' probably leaving the wider apart marks seen earlier in the thread.

So 2 wires; not just one.

Anyone tried this?

Grant
Hi Grant , I have found with the few JBP's i have developing that 2 wires used 1 or 2 seasons apart does reduce the reverse taper and restricts the swelling from the first wire , not only on pines but deciduiousas well . I believe that the first wire should begin well below in amongst the roots to prevent reverse taper in the first place . Yes i have trunks here with reverse taper as i was too slack to spend the extra time feeding the wire in and around the roots .Another season and they should be sorted by wiring below the roots

Most wire from the base by sticking the wire in the ground and winding it around the base , if it is placed around and in between the roots the swelling is uniform and the reverse taper is less prevelent or not at all
P1100546.JPG
P1100547.JPG
P1100548.JPG
P1100549.JPG
P1100552.JPG
P1100553.JPG
P1100555.JPG
P1100557.JPG
P1100558.JPG
P1100559.JPG

Hope these help . Cheers Alpine
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai Forum is my source

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

From my post about JBP needle plucking, I just bought self 2 starter JBP like yours and will be an experiment :D
Kind Regards
Allen
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Hi every one,
I seem to of lost the point here. If this technique causes a lot of reverse taper why use it or do it? :lost: Isn't it better to grow the tree in the ground for a number of years with heaps of good fert and use a couple of sacrifice branches to thicken up the trunk? Doesn't this way ends up with more natural looking bark? After all ain't we trying to copy natural trees? :?:
Cheers Rod
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

rodm wrote:Hi every one,
I seem to of lost the point here. If this technique causes a lot of reverse taper why use it or do it? :lost: Isn't it better to grow the tree in the ground for a number of years with heaps of good fert and use a couple of sacrifice branches to thicken up the trunk? Doesn't this way ends up with more natural looking bark? After all ain't we trying to copy natural trees? :?:
Cheers Rod
The point is the trunk thickens dramatically quicker using this method. More likely to get nice low, interesting bends and yes, swelling.

Don't use it if you are not sure or not wanting to experiment.

The tree trunks are eventually massive and I don't think reverse taper is a problem at all; maybe 1 in a thousand.

Grant
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rodm »

Most of the great trees in the bonsai world have very good taper going the right way up. I've not seen any great trees with reverse tapers. It wouldn't take all that long to create good thick tapers for Shohin size trees :lost: ;) :whistle:
Cheers Rod
PeterH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Next project

Post by PeterH »

I haven't been following this thread but I have tried this Technic with 20 JBP over the past 3 years and haven't had a problem with reverse taper. I do use colanders to grow them in and also use these colanders for larger trees that have reverse taper problems. This seem to work for my trees,

Regards,

Peter
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

Hi all

Certainly some great input on this thread so thanks. Thinking I need to repot some or all of these seedlings soon so will try and implement some techniques discussed here.

I think the wire being more restricted at the base where the roots flair out my help a lot. I have some seedlings that didn't get the site treatment and will be experimenting with another theory.

Stay posted

Squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
Jow
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest

Post by Jow »

I read the below blog post this morning and thought it might be interesting in regards to the reverse taper issues. If only Black pines layered as easily as deciduous trees.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fwnt1093/16575078.html

And this is interesting in regards to how you can use swelling to your advantage.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fwnt1093/16572234.html

Joe
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rodm »

Ok people,
I was always told that scarring was very hard to eliminate and takes time. I can understand that this wiring is and will certainly thicken the trunks, but if time is on your side you could follow a method which I feel less harsh. Researching in Bonsai Today #20 an article by Kusida Matsuo on Black Pine from Seed, where by he grows jbp to pottable size for shohin in 5-6 years, no harsh wiring, no scarring to have to eliminate, seems very simple to me!
Yes I do research my techniques and I do experiment, but not in a big way as some. This only my opinion , as my collection only small compared to some :wave: ;)
Cheers Rod
Last edited by rodm on March 16th, 2015, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Shohin”