9 dollar shimpaku shohin

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

9 dollar shimpaku shohin

Post by Mbunro »

IMG_0024.JPG
i got these 2 shimpakus for 9 dollars each from a local nursery today.
i spent a couple of hours messing around with the one on the left this afternoon and this is the result so far, a bit of a short multi trunk raft...
i think its looking ok. but i think it may look less cluttered if i remove the jin on the left and/or the branch coming out from behind it but unsure yet... i will give it a month or 2 to recover before a bit more refining before winter.
any criticism welcome.
juniper one.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: 9 dollar shimpaku shohin

Post by shibui »

It is looking good.
No need to make further decisions for a while. Let it grow out a bit and then see what it looks like. I think the jin is appropriate. if the main trunk can provide back branching for depth the lower back one could probably go then.
Don't be surprised if this starts to produce untidy spiky shoots now. They often revert to juvenile foliage after severe pruning. Just let it grow for a while and it will go back to the mature scale growth.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Nice work

Alot of medium for skinny foliage..be careful watering.

Anthony
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

Thanks anthony, and thanks shibui...
I really wasnt aure about that gin, but glad to know its got the shibui stamp of approval :)
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

So this little guy seems to have survived my harsh treatment and started waking up from this short winter....
Mite look at reducing the roots and thinking about what style pot this will go into..
I'm thinking sort of rounded and narrowing towards the bottom but really unsure as of yet as I haven't really seen any similar trees to this one to compare to. If anyone has any suggestions or even pictures of similarly styled trees I'd love to see them.

Current height around 10-12cm from soil to tallest foliage.

ThanksImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

Just thought I'd do a quick update on this one after heavy root work in October.
I completely bare rooted the tree and washed away probably 96 percent of the nursery soil, Before reducing the root mass by at least 2 thirds... I also removed any downwards facing roots and any that were getting too thick. It then went into this cheap terracotta pot with 5050 cheap potting mix and large river sand. And seems to have responded very well since then.

I have basically not touched the foliage since the original work and it's in desperate need of a trim and some fine wiring but filling out nicely..
Also other than a single new shoot, I have seen no signs of juvenile foliage to date so i must be doing something right.
Fingers crossed I can get it into a nice pot for spring 2018.Image

Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

This tree has had a lot of work over a short period of time so congratulations on its success to date. I like to look of it and as you now have a tree that may develop into something special careful pot selection is now appropriate. Another year in the pot it is currently in won't hurt it so if you don't have the correct pot don't stress, look around until you find the best or most appropriate.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

Hi Watto.

yeah i agree, and will probably give it a year of rest before re potting and worry about the fine wiring when im a bit more confident.
But for now it will probably just get a light thinning while i keep thinking about what the ideal pot may look like...
cheers
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Mbunro »

Recently had a few Erin pots delivered. I have decided on this nice little oval as the future for this tree... cant remember exact measurements but it is almost exactly 2/3rds of the canopy width. I will have a look at getting it in there next autumn as this guy could use a rest..Image

Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Nice pot. Its hard to tell if its suitable for the tree, but nice pot!
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hi Mbunro,
Thanks for this thread. I really like what you’ve done since buying this Shimpaku... again, helps people like me realise what’s possible - and ... while hard to see - I reckon that pot is potentially a ripper; it’s a nod to the ‘traditional’ unglazed pots but adds a modern/edgy twist. Love it. I look forward to seeing the tree in-situ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Shohin”