twisted shimpaku

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
roka
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: twisted shimpaku

Post by roka »

Nice trees mate, :D The first one you posted will kick arse not too long in the future.Keep up the good work ;)
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

cheers roka :D

pup, after much consideration of what you have said i have taken the time to look over the tree and re shape and tweak alot more, you are pretty much right on size, it comes in at just over 200mm and the trunk is about 30mm (the angle of the pic doesnt show it properly).
t.s trunk width.jpg
T.s height.jpg
i have wired some small secondaries and added a bit more movement to the branchlets, bring the left hand side up a touch it now looks like it is part of the apex canopy, the right hand side branch has been taken out some and dropped a bit, i think i see a semi cascade in the future, albeit not massivly cascading but i think ya know what i mean :D
Twisted shimpaku new style.jpg
T.s other side.jpg
T. Shimpaku new side.jpg
T.shimpaku top.jpg
i think once the shari is started on the trunk and it can start swelling into a live vein this tree will strech out and thicken quite nicely, i would say three years and it will be solid.

height to trunk ratio is ok for now coming i at approx 7:1 and i am gonna try and keep it at the same height throughout its life, no more than 200mm.

cheers :D

jamie :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

That's better plus you have put some backward and forward movement as well as side to side.
Will be a pleasing Shohin with time, which you have plenty of.
Next time not so much of the branches till you have shaped it. That way you will avoid those pom poms.

One of Peter Adams favorite quotes was wire every thing. Then shape, then cut of what you do not need. He reckons it is better to cut the wire than the branches.
You can replace wire but you cannot with branches. I tend to agree it a lot of instances.

Cheers ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

cheers pup :D time is one thing on my side ;) being only 24 gives me the chance to work on trees that some other people wouldnt even bother, it also allows me to develop the trees from a younger age, which i dont mind either.

with the wiring of everything i do try to do this, alot of the foliage that is on the tree is pretty much what was left on the branches after the removal of the unecessary trunks and suck, it was pretty much a bush without anything going for it.

any way, i am glad it is looking better now :D i think it deserves a rest from getting moved and twisted so now it will get some good sun and plenty of feed :D

cheers :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by NathanM »

Looking good man. I reckon it will definately make a nice shohin in a couple of years.

Here's a pic of my radiata. It's only tube stock mind you. The amount of foliage has at least double though, so it's still healthy
montetwisted201209pic02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

cool nath, good work, thats how it starts, think about bending on the vertical plane aswell when doing it with stuf this young, what i mean by that you have corkscrewed the trunk you should try and get it standing up vertical again through bends and twists, but thats a bit later, let it settle and grow strong again like ya are for now :D if it has doubled in foliage then you have been successful in the first lot of bending :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!

Return to “Shohin”