19 year-old Shohin JBP

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

19 year-old Shohin JBP

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuRywtJvS2M/

I really like this. I would like to try my hand at growing a few of these. I'm assuming one needs to start candle pruning and ramifying it from a young age (2-3) y/o. Plus really diligent root work to get the roots to fuse over time.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: 19 year-old Shohin JBP

Post by shibui »

I don't know how that tree was developed but I'd be reasonably confident it would have had a sacrifice branch/trunk at one stage to get the trunk thickness.
JBP roots fuse readily so that's not such a big deal. Ending up with a thick trunk and still having low branches that can be developed into well ramified branching is a challenge.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I’d say that is one of Jonas Dupich’s early seed grown trees and there would definitely be long sacrifice branches and diligent maintenance of lower branches.

Eric Schrader has released a course based on his experience growing these from seed. He would have used the early Japanese articles as a starting point but has learnt a lot over the time. I haven’t checked out the course but I here is a link. He and Jonas (Bonsai Tonight) are close friends (they put on the Pacific Bonsai Expo) and I’m sure it would be full of great info based on many years experience.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: July 5th, 2023, 6:32 pm I really like this. I would like to try my hand at growing a few of these.
You should spend sometime on Jonas blog. It's easy to find just Google Bonsai Tonight. It's well worth the read and you will pickup many ideas/tips.
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Keels wrote: July 5th, 2023, 8:45 pm
SuperBonSaiyan wrote: July 5th, 2023, 6:32 pm I really like this. I would like to try my hand at growing a few of these.
You should spend sometime on Jonas blog. It's easy to find just Google Bonsai Tonight. It's well worth the read and you will pickup many ideas/tips.
It's a blog I've been following closely. Jonas and Eric are two growers who are great at explaining how they achieve their results.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

I think they have a podcast too
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Daluke wrote: July 6th, 2023, 11:48 am I think they have a podcast too
Yeah I listened through that this past year. They've really showed down since the exhibition though (understandably as that was a massive thing to organise).
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Eric and Jonas did one together on shohin black pines recently, though it concentrated more on how to educate people about bonsai rather than a deep dive into there techniques. I’m sure you’ve seen Ryan (ryceman3) post on his pines. Well documented journey producing great results.

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=25843
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Jonas seems to graft a lot of his JBP on his blog. Can y'all tell whether this tree has grafts from looking at this one picture?

If it does, when should I look to graft? Sooner rather than later? Or only once I achieve the desired thickness and taper?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

SuperBonSaiyan wrote: October 10th, 2023, 5:51 am Jonas seems to graft a lot of his JBP on his blog. Can y'all tell whether this tree has grafts from looking at this one picture?

If it does, when should I look to graft? Sooner rather than later? Or only once I achieve the desired thickness and taper?
There is nothing in the picture to indicate either way whether the tree has been grafted or not that I can see.
I'm assuming you are talking about scion grafting? Performing these during spring is standard... but you really should first consider if/why a graft might be needed. It's a technique that requires quite a bit of skill and practice to become competent at, and failed graft sites can look kinda crap if you don't manage to succeed. The age of the area being grafted, how much foliage is beyond the graft site that will help pull resources through it, the exposure the site has to light in addition to the precision of the cut and placement of the scion all are important to getting a successful result.
So what does all that mean?
Probably the short answer is look for stock that doesn't require grafting, or better yet grow your own and develop it so you avoid the need to graft at all. If you do want to do it though, areas that haven't got maturing/flaking bark are MUCH easier to graft and more likely to succeed, but these are the areas also most likely to back bud given the right techniques. Also remember that grafting isn't a guarantee and in fact quite an advanced skill so be prepared for failures as you practice the technique.
I would say if you are interested in giving it a go, find a tree that you can use to experiment with and have a bit of fun on it while you build skills for stock you are more invested in.
:beer:
MikeK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MikeK »

See if you can get hold of the latest Canberra Bonsai Club newsletter (Oct 2023), Evan Marsh just did a talk about growing shohin pines and there's a bit of a write-up in the newsletter and also a photo of a pine he's working on, looks about 15cm tall with a 1m+ sacrifice branch, might give you some idea's
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

Thanks both of ya for the replies.

I definitely prefer to obtain branches through backbudding over grafting, I was just wondering how noticeable grafts (scion grafts) are. Jonas and another member of my club grafts quite often, but I can't tell with my untrained eyes where the grafts are on their finished trees. I'm guessing this is a sign of a well done graft, which includes picking the size of the scion to match the branch as well as the execution.

Another thing on my mind is how easily can you graft onto calloused tissue? Those locations where large sacrifice wounds have heal would often be spots to place grafts I think. Either above or to the sides.

Return to “Shohin”