Nire geyaki or Hokkeido elm

Discussions and pictures relating to bonsai under 25cm in height.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Nire geyaki or Hokkeido elm

Post by Pup »

Friday week Mrs Pup and I visited an old friend in both senses. She had asked me to sharpen and clean her tools for. We were going the to pay for some pots I bought.

Long story short she gave me this Nire geyaki a type of elm!!. It was one of the original imports.

Last Tuesday we were at another friends doing some work in a mutual workshop situation. When another friend re gifted some cuttings I had given her 4 years ago.
She felt they were not getting the proper care so here we are.
To day I decided to do some pruning and cleaning out of the old soil and get rid of the high growing roots. The cuttings are soaking in water with some Superthrive.

So here are the results for your amusment
P1080683.JPG
P1080685.JPG
P1080808.JPG
P1080809.JPG
P1080793.JPG
P1080807.JPG
P1080798.JPG
P1080800.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pup on February 14th, 2010, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Re: Nire geyaki or Hokkeido elm

Post by Webos »

Hi Pup,
I'm just dropping by to ask if you could describe for me how to differentiate between the "Seiju" and the Nire-Geyaki" elms.

Thanks a lot
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi ya Pup. Isnt it nice when sometimes when people gift you things ( like a tree) you wonder what to do with it. You have done what i reckon i would have done. Strip them down a bit and see what you got. I have a question, they look very, very similar to the Seiju elm, are they one and the same :?:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Webos wrote:Hi Pup,
I'm just dropping by to ask if you could describe for me how to differentiate between the "Seiju" and the Nire-Geyaki" elms.

Thanks a lot
Seiju has very corky bark, Nire do not they are much slower growers also. If you have access to Classic Bonsai of Japan you will see a couple in there.

Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

bodhidharma wrote:Hi ya Pup. Isnt it nice when sometimes when people gift you things ( like a tree) you wonder what to do with it. You have done what i reckon i would have done. Strip them down a bit and see what you got. I have a question, they look very, very similar to the Seiju elm, are they one and the same :?:
Bohdi no they are not the same they do have similarity's, but Seiju has a much more corky bark and is a lot faster in growth.

Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and Bonsai Society of Victoria

Post by Jarrod »

Love the work you are doing on this. I thought it was Nire Keyaki? Not geyaki, unless it's another variety?
Jarrod

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em green.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Jarrod wrote:Love the work you are doing on this. I thought it was Nire Keyaki? Not geyaki, unless it's another variety?
According to the book Classic Bonsai of Japan plate 162 Nire-geyaki ( a type of Japanese elm )

A quote from the book on Nire-geyaki ( a type of Japanese elm ) this bit is interesting Ulmus parvifolia ( common name Chinese elm my quote )

This species is suited to the miniature Bonsai; small leaves are a natural advantage,and dwarf varieties are often used. When cut back,the Nire-geyaki often puts out shoots on the trunk,and it is easy to make a dense growth of small branches. The surface, too, easily acquires an old roughened look.

Replanting in a smaller pot would enhance this specimens scale.

Cheers ;) Pup

MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hi Pup,

I recently acquired an old hokkeido elm that is very rootbound and long bare growth (12" black pot, approx 30yrs old). Was planning on cutting it back hard & regrowing, when is the best time? should i wait till spring as i had planned? I dont want to waste any part of it, as this is only the second i have ever seen in person, was planning on using all the cut off material as cuttings to share round my local club.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

brogus wrote:Hi Pup,

I recently acquired an old hokkeido elm that is very rootbound and long bare growth (12" black pot, approx 30yrs old). Was planning on cutting it back hard & regrowing, when is the best time? should i wait till spring as i had planned? I dont want to waste any part of it, as this is only the second i have ever seen in person, was planning on using all the cut off material as cuttings to share round my local club.

Matt
Matt I did mine yesterday I will be making sure that the after care for the original tree is optimum, and all the cutting's are given the best chance with a good seed raising mix to strike them. I will use striking hormones for hard wood and keep the mix moist but not wet.

If you prefer to wait till spring that is also fine, just do the same then. I have found that they grow and strike pretty well all year except winter. Good luck.
Cheers ;) Pup

Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean

Post by Jarrod »

Pup wrote:
Jarrod wrote:Love the work you are doing on this. I thought it was Nire Keyaki? Not geyaki, unless it's another variety?
According to the book Classic Bonsai of Japan plate 162 Nire-geyaki ( a type of Japanese elm )

A quote from the book on Nire-geyaki ( a type of Japanese elm ) this bit is interesting Ulmus parvifolia ( common name Chinese elm my quote )

Cheers ;) Pup
Hi Pup,

Thanks for that. I will keep looking for more information on the species you have mentioned. As yet I have found no reference anywhere for it! Always pushes me to Nire Keyaki. I am very interested in these small leaved elms. I have one but want more.
Jarrod

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

pup,

nice work as usual :D i was just looking at the tree in the middle of the three you have there and i noticed a little reverse taper from where all the branching was coming out, will this eventually grow out or isnt it a major factor on mini's?
i do like them, love the small leaves, another tree to put on the wish list that probably wouldnt do to well here :roll:

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Jamie wrote:pup,

nice work as usual :D i was just looking at the tree in the middle of the three you have there and i noticed a little reverse taper from where all the branching was coming out, will this eventually grow out or isnt it a major factor on mini's?
i do like them, love the small leaves, another tree to put on the wish list that probably wouldnt do to well here :roll:

Jamie it is an optical illusion no reverse. Pm me with you address for when the cuttings put down roots. you might be waiting awhile as I have the same problem with locals wanting them. Depends on what I want to keep and what gets passed on. The 2011 convention is coming so I might make a quid :roll:.
With mini's we try to stay true to the guidlines to make it look like a tree, its just you only need three baranches and an apex. If you get better, then all the better.

Cheers :) Pup
edit ps I will be going to Lee's Bonsai world and checking there stock of Mica, this week will let you know.
Last edited by Pup on February 15th, 2010, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

ahhh nice pup :D i started wondering that after i posted aswell re. the reverse taper that isnt there ;) :lol:

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Jarrod wrote:
Pup wrote:

Cheers ;) Pup
Hi Pup,

Thanks for that. I will keep looking for more information on the species you have mentioned. As yet I have found no reference anywhere for it! Always pushes me to Nire Keyaki. I am very interested in these small leaved elms. I have one but want more.
G,day Jarrod after your comment I went further, I have an early magazine Bonsai International Autumn 1981 issue it is part of a glossary on translating Japanese by Chase Rosade.
Under Ulmus ( elm ) he has 3 named and translated. First is Ulmus davidiana var .Japonica; Japanese elm; Haru nire.
Second is U, parvifolia, Chinese elm; Aki nire.
Third is cv ` Suberosa ` Cork- bark Chinese elm; Nire Keyaki.
So we do have one of that name and I apologize for this. What led to my stubbornness is the fact I have suberosa, and this small one I have is nothing like it except that it is an Ulmus.
It was imported as I said in 1985. I have since been told even then elms were forbidden. so I assume imported under Nire geyaki, would have got them though. That is the name I have gone by ever since. Using the reference that Nire is the Japanese word for elm. It does not however explain the reference to Nire geyaki in the Classic Bonsai of Japan, which is also what I based my naming on.
Also I have been told it could be Hokkeido which is a slow growing dwarf!!. Hence the two names in the heading of my thread.
I hope you are not as confused as I am :? . After this post I am going to google up Hokkeido elm and see what comes up.
Cheers :o Pup

Edit I googled and I am convinced mine is Hokkeido so Jarrod. I will not refer to it as Nire keyaki or Geyaki again. Cheers :) Pup
Last edited by Pup on February 15th, 2010, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jarrod
Treat em mean
Treat em mean

Post by Jarrod »

I was actually hoping there would be a different variety that you had. It doesn't explain the Quote in the book, unless it was an incorrect translation??

It's a lovely variety and perfect for the smallest trees. Your mame are very special and I can see they bring you much joy.

I just hope that my little one grows into somthing special in time. I will be taking cuttings from it.
Jarrod

Return to “Shohin”