[Andrew Legg] Ulmus parvifolia Suberosa

Create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 14 months between 1st August 2011 and 31st October 2012. Entry posts must be made by 31st August 2011.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: [Andrew Legg] Ulmus parvifolia Suberosa

Post by Boics »

Love the pot and think it will be more complimentary than the green when in leaf too.
Good stuff!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Andrew,

In all honesty I preferred the old pot as it would show the foliage off a lot better in Spring/Summer, but also would make the trunk pop a bit more in Winter. I always prefer deciduous tree's in wider/shallower pots.

The new pot is still fantastic, but just not my preference.

Kind regards,
-Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I like the new pot, but not 100% sure that it is a step up from the old one. Ho hum. I think I'll live with it for a year and see. No harm done as I don't need fast growth so the small pot is fine. Now I just wonder what it says on the side??? :lost:

Cheers,

Andrew
milly.abrahams
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: wild olive
Bonsai Club: oyama bonsai kai

Post by milly.abrahams »

A lovely tree in the 'bark' and I prefer it in the previous pot.

Milly
==========================
Kind Regards
Milly
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

milly.abrahams wrote:A lovely tree in the 'bark' and I prefer it in the previous pot.

Milly
Woof woof. Thanks Milly. I'm in two minds myself. Time will tell. My problem with the older pot was that I felt it was a bit bright . . . possibly more suitable for a smooth barked species or possibly something flowering. Ho Hum. I felt that the cork bark needed something less "slick". Time will see . . . and let's see what it looks like in leaf. I have an ideal pot in mind. Just don't actually have it. Quite possibly can't afford it either! :palm: It's old, 200 years ago it was white, is oval, delicate feet, patina . . . . . . aaaaaaaaargh!!! :crybye:
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

I like the new pot. Generally I prefer glazed for deciduous, but the design on the side of this one has a nice effect, so I like it. As you say, no harm in letting it grow there for a year. Very nice little tree!
Cheers, Karl
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Thanks Karl! :tu:
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Boics wrote:Love the pot and think it will be more complimentary than the green when in leaf too.
Good stuff!
Here you go Boics. That first right hand branch is getting on my nerves. Needs something to get it looking less "straight".

Cheers,

Andrew
IMG-20140902-01712_cr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gerald randall
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm, Ficus
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Cape

Post by gerald randall »

Andrew, a very impressive tree. You have done very well with this tree. It looks good in the new pot. I am personally a dark brown pot person. I must however say that recently I have found that cork barks can go into both glazed and unglazed pots. I have elms in both. I admit that the glazed pots make the trees look more sophisticated and finished. I am thus leaning more towards glazed pots for my deciduous trees. But, it is a personal preference. I suspect you are not sure about the choice of this pot, otherwise you would not have asked for advice and opinions. There is always next year to rethink the pot.

Even if you decide the previous pot is not the right choice, it remains a very nice pot. You will definitely find something to put in it.

Did you buy the bag stock from Rudi. He has taken a couple of elms out of the ground, but he is not selling them yet. I will have to send my son in first. Hahahaha. He has a way with these things. He and Rudi have long conversations while my son plays with Rudi's German Shepherd. I will have to get him to convince Rudi to sell one of the elms, or two.

I may have missed it in the post, did the cuttings ever take?
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum

Post by Boics »

Looks good Andrew.

To be constructive I'm not convinced about the quality of your shot.
It seems to be either grainy (due to lack of light) or optimised too far.
Long story short the quality of the photo is not what it could / should be.

My belief is that this is not showing your beautiful tree to the level it deserves!

Re. the pot..
I don't know if the previous glazed pot would look better and would be interested in a side by side virt if anyone is interested?
I certainly don't mind the current pot and think it looks great.

Yes I agree the first branch is not ideal.
if it won't move via normal methods perhaps the notch method is worth trying?
Ie. cut an upside down "V" notch out of the bottom of the branch and set it this way?
I think that this could be a good and very viable option for this tree?

Anyway thanks for sharing the journey and discussion for this beautiful tree.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks for posting, Andrew, it's a gracefully moving trunk. I agree about the right hand branch, not graceful. The only fix I know would be to cut it back 1/2 or 2/3 and start ramifying again, but that's a big step. Another idea might be to lie it over to the left, cut the right branch off and call it windswept - that trunk would certainly look good curling up to the left, with most of the foliage leaning even further.

Just my 2c.,

Gavin
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

gerald randall wrote:Andrew, a very impressive tree. You have done very well with this tree. It looks good in the new pot. I am personally a dark brown pot person. I must however say that recently I have found that cork barks can go into both glazed and unglazed pots. I have elms in both. I admit that the glazed pots make the trees look more sophisticated and finished. I am thus leaning more towards glazed pots for my deciduous trees. But, it is a personal preference. I suspect you are not sure about the choice of this pot, otherwise you would not have asked for advice and opinions. There is always next year to rethink the pot.

Even if you decide the previous pot is not the right choice, it remains a very nice pot. You will definitely find something to put in it.

Did you buy the bag stock from Rudi. He has taken a couple of elms out of the ground, but he is not selling them yet. I will have to send my son in first. Hahahaha. He has a way with these things. He and Rudi have long conversations while my son plays with Rudi's German Shepherd. I will have to get him to convince Rudi to sell one of the elms, or two.

I may have missed it in the post, did the cuttings ever take?
Hi Gerald,

Thanks.

The pot I am sure about, but I just don't have it yet, so in the interim it is going into this one. The pot I'd like is a cream oval shallow cracked-glaze pot. Found one on eBay the other day, but it was about $500 or something, so back to the drawing board!

Yes, the bag stock came from Rudi.

No, the cuttings never took. I have a thing against propogation, so they went into mame pots and all vrekked as a result or drying out. I have taken new ones from the elm I bought from Steven a few weeks back, and those are being treated well, so we'll see if my chances go up :fc:

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

Boics wrote:Looks good Andrew.

To be constructive I'm not convinced about the quality of your shot.
It seems to be either grainy (due to lack of light) or optimised too far.
Long story short the quality of the photo is not what it could / should be.

My belief is that this is not showing your beautiful tree to the level it deserves!

Re. the pot..
I don't know if the previous glazed pot would look better and would be interested in a side by side virt if anyone is interested?
I certainly don't mind the current pot and think it looks great.

Yes I agree the first branch is not ideal.
if it won't move via normal methods perhaps the notch method is worth trying?
Ie. cut an upside down "V" notch out of the bottom of the branch and set it this way?
I think that this could be a good and very viable option for this tree?

Anyway thanks for sharing the journey and discussion for this beautiful tree.
Lol Boics! That's a ####berry photo :shake: I'll take and post a better one today. Promise. :palm:

There is an idea for the first branch that sees me bending the first secondary branch downwards to break the straightness, and at the same time create a double layer pad. I'm gonna start by trying this sometime this week, and then reevaluate.

Thanks,

Andrew
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

GavinG wrote:Thanks for posting, Andrew, it's a gracefully moving trunk. I agree about the right hand branch, not graceful. The only fix I know would be to cut it back 1/2 or 2/3 and start ramifying again, but that's a big step. Another idea might be to lie it over to the left, cut the right branch off and call it windswept - that trunk would certainly look good curling up to the left, with most of the foliage leaning even further.

Just my 2c.,

Gavin
Interesting thought Gavin. I'm gonna stick with an upright though as it have been wanting to get this tree "working" in this style all along. See comment to Boics above on the game plan. Let's see how it goes!

Cheers.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Andrew Legg »

[/attachment]Here you go Boics . . . . a better shot - not an ideal background, but I have upped the game a bit. Also, I've wired the branch down a bit and I think it looks better. Still some more to do, but for now I want it to just settle into the pot before I yank it about too much.
P1020753_cr_cr.jpg
[attachment=0]2014-09-03 09-28-52 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andrew Legg on September 4th, 2014, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “AusBonsai Shohin Progressive Styling Competition 2011-2012”