[Neli] ficus benjamina Natasha

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Tambrand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tamarind
Bonsai Age: 37
Bonsai Club: Lives in the West Indies

Re: [Neli] ficus benjamina Natasha

Post by Tambrand »

G.M,

i used to have ficus trees that grew as you have described. I think what has happened with my growing technique is that it uses the - ball bearing idea [ good supply of air at the roots , and moisture retention through the compost, which will also hold the fertilizer within itself [ the compost ]].

Also the way our native ficus plants grow on walls, concrete and rooftops / guttering, the growing medium is closer to what they prefer.

Well in 4 years I was at 5 cm in trunk thickness and I was slowing down the tree. When I shift to branchlets, I will have to slow it down even more to stay around 8 cm.

I use the guideline - 1 to 5 or 1 to 6 trunk to height. I can physically lift 38 to 46 cm tall trees and their pots. So as I get older, this will not be a problem. At 61 to 91 cm heights with pots, it is bit too much.

Now the trick is to keep the trunk at around 8 cm, with a goodly amount of branchlets. So the shallow soil / pot will give me a fighting chance especially if I am growing sacrifice branches of say 91 cm in length.

Unlike the Chinese, I have chosen to grow tree-like shapes with the Ficus, and not decorated trunks / roots with a green hat.

I accidentally grew a Ficus p. to a trunk of 13 cm, and the cut is not wanting to heal [ at 5/6 cms ] so now I use smaller cuts made at the beginning stage, which easily heal. Less stress on me.
Wish me luck.
Baba K.

* This idea also works on our local Chlorophora t. [ looks like Zelkova - cousin of the Ficus - Mulberry family I believe.] and I will keep on testing, with other tree types able to thicken in a pot. Shall keep you informed.
"We grow our Bonsai for Beauty, not for produce or lumber."
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

Hi Baba K,
That is good news!
I have been sticking all cuttings wherever I find a space in pots and they are growing...Now I have a problem what to do with them...so I am starting all sorts of weird forests...he he he.
My gardeners water my trees in a frenzy 3 times a day...so if my mix was not inorganic my trees will all rot. I put tooth picks in each pot so they check the moisture but it does not help.
here is a weird forest I made this month.
See the soil? Just pebbles.
09 09 2014 116 (550x403).jpg
24 09 2014 068 (550x369).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Tambrand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tamarind
Bonsai Age: 37
Bonsai Club: Lives in the West Indies

Post by Tambrand »

Chuckle,
G.M,

on this side we use the word - yardman - a Gardener would be a trained individual, ususally Technical school for 3 to 5 years, diploma and all that..

It takes 3 to 5 years to learn to water Bonsai, longer if not done on a daily basis, especially if using a hose with a fine rose.

Will have images ready for showing around January next year, as I begin the repot. I believe the results will satisfy you.
Take care.
Baba K.

* With purely inorganic, I just add a few teaspoons of sifted compost to the surface. It decays / waters in and the tree takes off.
"We grow our Bonsai for Beauty, not for produce or lumber."
Shane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: BonsaiNorthwest, BSV, Vic Natives

Post by Shane »

I like what you've done with this tree Neli. It evokes images of the lone tree on a desert island for me.
Bonsai was meant to keep me away from the computer.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

He he he! Shane...Thanks! I know what you mean! But that is normally a palm tree on a lone small island...but it does evoke it for sure to me too.

Baba K show us pictures when done.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”