AusBonsai Shohin Progression Competition 2016-2017

Create the best possible shohin sized bonsai over an 18 month period between 1st June 2016 and 30th November 2017. There are 2 categories;
Category 1. REFINE - A continuation of entries in the 2013-2014 competition.
Category 2. CREATE - To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock.
Entry posts must be made no later than Midnight AEST on 31st May 2016.

Forum rules
Please ensure you read all the rules prior to entering.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: AusBonsai Shohin Progression Competition 2016-2017

Post by Boics »

Cool! Well done Steven!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

A question if i may mods. I have a Bonsai which has the lower half worked on but the top was left to grow to thicken the trunk and i was just going to cut it off. I never got around to it and it has powered on and turned into useable material. Can i layer it off and utilise it. :?:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

bodhidharma wrote:A question if i may mods. I have a Bonsai which has the lower half worked on but the top was left to grow to thicken the trunk and i was just going to cut it off. I never got around to it and it has powered on and turned into useable material. Can i layer it off and utilise it. :?:
Yep.
If the bit you are wanting to use has not had wire or other "styling work" performed in it then most definitley qualifies.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks Ken :tu2:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
ben17487
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ben17487 »

Good to see some trees going up already :)
Just had a quick question about the starting date, should no work commence until the 1st of June? I.e. No thinning of material to see structure?

Also in regard to height of tree is 'from top of pot to tip of tree' the highest point of the tree or the furthest tip?

Cheers and please excuse my ignorance haha
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Also in regard to height of tree is 'from top of pot to tip of tree' the highest point of the tree or the furthest tip?
Now there's another can of worms :palm:

For upright trees I believe bonsai is measured to the highest green part. Jin that extend above the living canopy are not measured. Even if it is a short, wide upright tree it should be measured from pot to top of tree rather than widest branch.
But I'm not sure about leaning, windswept or cascade trees and I've always wondered - measure from the closest lip of the pot to the farthest tip of the tree? Straight line from pot to tip or just height above the pot?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks Steven. I will have a look around and put a few in, just for fun.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
literati79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers

Post by literati79 »

This looks interesting.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

shibui wrote:

For upright trees I believe bonsai is measured to the highest green part. Jin that extend above the living canopy are not measured. Even if it is a short, wide upright tree it should be measured from pot to top of tree rather than widest branch.
But I'm not sure about leaning, windswept or cascade trees and I've always wondered - measure from the closest lip of the pot to the farthest tip of the tree? Straight line from pot to tip or just height above the pot?
I too would love some clarification of this, as one of the trees I'm considering entering would eventually be a windswept if it was entered. Mods if you could please confirm?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
squizzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by squizzy »

This is going to be awesome. I have a few contenders already but will
Wait until all my looking and shopping is done
before I decide on my final three. This means more plants around the house.
Just what I need.

I will say this. I am not in it for the prize but the experience which you cannot buy.

Squizz
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55..............................
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

STYLING 'an instance of creating something, especially something artistic, in a particular or idiosyncratic way.' This includes but is not limited to wiring, clip and grow or any other means that has changed the natural growth tree. Previous work done on the roots is acceptable.
Does this include material that has been trimmed while growing on without it being to actually shape it? If it does it would mean most nursery stock, from bonsai nursery or other, would be excluded. If it doesn't, at what point does does trimming become styling? Seems like a very blurry line to me.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
literati79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers

Post by literati79 »

I've been wondering the same ^^^

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

shibui wrote:

I believe the only criteria is height from the rim of the pot, the highest point of the tree Regardless of whether foliage, branch or Jin.
Whe width of the canopy, or length of the Cascade is irrelevant, but would be disappointed if someone entered a tree with a Metre long cascade and expecting it to win. that to me would be outside the "Spirit of the Competition"

Shohin trees are supposed to be easily held in one hand and that is, to me at least one of the defining characters.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

And what about stock bought from a Bonsai nursery that had early wiring of the trunk and then left to grow?

Here's one example of what I mean. It came from a Bonsai Nursery and was obviously wired early. It has also been trunked chopped and I have trimmed the new leader too. No other work has been done. Is this eligible?
IMG_5342.jpg
And another where It has obviously been tilted when repotted so natural growth has been altered. May even have been wired. It has been trunk chopped in the nursery and I have removed branches. Is this eligible?
IMG_5345.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
ben17487
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper

Post by ben17487 »

kcpoole wrote:
shibui wrote:

I believe the only criteria is height from the rim of the pot, the highest point of the tree Regardless of whether foliage, branch or Jin.
Whe width of the canopy, or length of the Cascade is irrelevant, but would be disappointed if someone entered a tree with a Metre long cascade and expecting it to win. that to me would be outside the "Spirit of the Competition"

Shohin trees are supposed to be easily held in one hand and that is, to me at least one of the defining characters.

Ken
Thanks for clarifying ken

Return to “AusBonsai Shohin Progression Competition 2016-2017”