[Thymetraveller] Thuja Occidentalis smaragd

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is for new entries. Enter as many times as you like.

Please ensure you read all the rules prior to entering.
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Re: [Thymetraveller] Thuja Occidentalis smaragd

Post by Thymetraveller »

IMG_20171111_173718.jpg
Plenty of spring growth to play with!
I unwired the tree a couple of weeks back to give it a breather, but I'll rewire for the final photos in a couple of weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thymetraveller
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trees!
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Thymetraveller »

Here is my final submission for the Ausbonsai Shohin Progression Competition 2016-2017
thujasetting.jpg
Species: Thuja Occidentalis Smaragd - EasternWhite Cedar
Purchased: 19/05/2016 from Ray Nesci Bonsai Nursery
Cost: $14
Original Height: 47cm
Final Height: 23cm
Compulsory plain background and ruler shots:
thujafront.jpg
thujaruler.jpg
This competition has been an absolute delight. I have really enjoyed the challenge of what I hope is a passable shohin tree, and have learnt a huge amount along the way.
My initial plans evolved as I got to know the species and gained confidence and knowledge. The most important lesson I have learned is to listen to the tree; to let it tell its story and to bring that story out for all to see.
The pot I had initially selected was far too small for the project, but this was all to the good as it quickly became apparent that the perfect pot, by Tracey Francis of Murrumbung Studio Ceramics, was waiting on my shelves.I have several of Tracey’s pots, all of which I love. The harsh, almost primitive gouged design on this one fitted the harrowed and dramatic direction that the tree was taking.
thujapot.jpg
I contacted Tracey to ask about the possibility of an accent pot to match the original and, from my rough sketches, she created a perfect match. The accent planting is of moss and rosemary, whose resinous curls echo the Thuja’s feathered foliage.
thujaaccent.jpg
As the months drew on, the final composition became clearer and clearer. A lone tree stands on a blasted heath, fighting for its existence, beaten down, but battling on. I used a muck wall to raise the tree up, exposed to the elements. A little carving and some lime sulphur enhanced the drama of the jins. Sandstone, moss and lichen complete the heath-like scene.
thujadeadwood.jpg
The scroll features a haiku that I wrote as the final image for the tree became clear in my mind. It reads: [/color]

bark flayed, limbs torn down
knowing yet the will to live
laughing at the storm
thujahaiku.jpg
The future?
I am considering shortening the outermost jin a little, to echo the overall flow of the tree. Hopefully the pads will thicken a little, although I do like the sparse effect currently showing. I would also like to bring the first branch down further, possibly to cascade below the rim of the pot. We’ll see.
One more look round -
Front:
thujafront.jpg
Back:
thujaback.jpg
Right Side:
thujaright.jpg
Left Side:
thujaleft.jpg
Good luck to everyone in the competition - so many great trees, so much care and inspiration!
[/color]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Post by SueBee »

Well done and thank you for sharing the process so clearly...so helpful. :tu:
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”