[LLK] Small leaf privet

To create the best possible Shohin sized bonsai from raw, untrained stock over a period of 18 months.
Forum rules
This category is for new entries. Enter as many times as you like.

Please ensure you read all the rules prior to entering.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

[LLK] Small leaf privet

Post by LLK »

Small leaf privet / Ligustrum sinense
Semi deciduous, approx 40 cm high
Self sown, came up in my front yard 3 or 4 years ago. Was cut back to soil level several times, till I dug it up last Spring.
No plans for future development yet.

Lisa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on May 20th, 2016, 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: [LLK]
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [LLK] Small leaf privet

Post by LLK »

Tree cut back, about 300 mm high now. Removed tha horizontal branch, still need to remove either one or two more. Which one(s)? Haven't made up my mind. Of course the tree needs to be tilted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

One branch removed. A bit too early in the season for repotting. Pruning will depend on how it leafs out when the weather warms up.

Lisa
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

One trunk was removed, the remaining 3 trunks were cut back and the privet was repotted. As it is semi deciduous in Canberra, new growth has been slow to emerge.
I don't think this funny tree will result in anything halfway ready to exhibit in 18 months, if ever.

Lisa
Small Trees
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Small Trees »

If this was my tree. I would cut back to one branch. Cut the 2 long ones off. Let it back bud and then cut that branch back and grow a new top out of it. It has the making of a nice tree.
Small Trees
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Small Trees »

Capture1.JPG
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

Thanks, Small Treees. I agree that a single trunk, the way you suggest, would get rid of a lot of problems and create a good chance for the little tree to end as a decent shohin bonsai. I thought about it at the start, but then couldn't resist trying to make something out of that crazy material. I'll think again.

Lisa
Small Trees
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Small Trees »

Its sometimes funny how others see something others don't. It happens to my trees often. I think sometimes such a rational choice to remove 80% of the tree and starting over is way ahead of spending years on an average tree only to ever be an end up with an average tree. Most of the time, making rational decisions on a tree that will benefit the tree and make an average tree into a fantastic tree. That is how I see your tree. Most of the time when we source material for bonsai, we select it for the trunk and then work the tree over a 5 year plan. I would suggest to leave it if you have freshly potted it. if you do to much drastic work at once then it may not make it. Drastic cuts once all leaf has dropped. love to see a picture once again in 12 months. Its on its way.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

If it was mine I'd probably chop the two right branches, and use the back as the new front (first pic in last post) and hope for a new bud/ first branch where the other two trunks were removed.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi Lisa . I vote crazy . I would love to see what you could do with it . Maybe something along the lines of Zhao Qinggquan .
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

Small Trees, I agree with you re: giving the tree a rest for now. They say that privet is unkillable, but I've found that vastly exaggerated. They are tough, but one has to be careful with pruning, especially with shohin. Thanks for your thoughts re: bonsai rationale.
Matlea: I've thought about it and I'll think about it again... and again, no doubt.
Sno: thanks, I'll stick with crazy for a while longer.
I was suddenly struck by the nice movement of the tree in the first of the two last photos (side view?). I'll have to see if I can somehow bring it out better.

Lisa
The Surgeon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus & Figs
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Geelong

Post by The Surgeon »

looks like you have it in hand - good luck
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

Progress report as is due.
I have removed 1 1/2 branch (or call it trunk), so finally there is only 1 1/2 branch (trunk?) left out of the 4 at the start. I found that this brought out the movement best. I tried to do some proper wiring, but the bigger branchlets snapped and the smaller ones were just too tender, so I used some guy wire to start bringing the branching down. Looks sloppy, I know, but it does what I want it to do for now.

I hereby would like to pray the dear judges on my bare knees for an extra month after August. Here in cold Canberra, the repotting season only starts in September, as do the first shoots on deciduous and semi-deciduous trees. Inland we are a month behind the coast. I guess it's just not possible and I'll have to resign myself to presenting my crazy privet in a less than optimum state sitting in a less than flattering pot.

Lisa :cry:
zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

This is coming along nicely [WHITE SMILING FACE]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

I hereby would like to pray the dear judges on my bare knees for an extra month after August. Here in cold Canberra, the repotting season only starts in September, as do the first shoots on deciduous and semi-deciduous trees. Inland we are a month behind the coast.
Hi Lisa all that praying has worked . This competition finishes at the end of November . Now if I get down on my hands knees and start praying I wonder if it will work for me . In the mountains to your south we are slower to get going than Canberra in spring .
With your tree I like your direction .

Return to “Category 2. CREATE”