Post by zimzallabim »

Compared to when I got it a year ago or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Zimzallabim] Port Jackson Fig

Post by zimzallabim »

My plan is to grow a very wide canopy and later put into a very shallow pot and try to grow ALOT of aerial roots. Something like this;

Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: Zim,
I love this "Banyan" style too. Lots of misting the trunk throughout these warmer months to increase humidity levels, should encourage the aerial roots to form. You've managed to reduce the leaf size down too.
I've found that once the wider canopy forms, its better to use guy wires for anchoring down the branch lengths, rather than coiling wire.
At this moment, I believe your soil level should be covered thick with poo - (seamungus or dynamic lifter pellets - piled high!)

Anyways, you may already know all of this from research on this site, so all I can say whilst your developing this tree is
Keep calm and ramify! :D
zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote::wave: Zim,
I love this "Banyan" style too. Lots of misting the trunk throughout these warmer months to increase humidity levels, should encourage the aerial roots to form. You've managed to reduce the leaf size down too.
I've found that once the wider canopy forms, its better to use guy wires for anchoring down the branch lengths, rather than coiling wire.
At this moment, I believe your soil level should be covered thick with poo - (seamungus or dynamic lifter pellets - piled high!)

Anyways, you may already know all of this from research on this site, so all I can say whilst your developing this tree is
Keep calm and ramify! :D
Thanks a lot! Ok I will pile on the fertiliser this weekend [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I think if I get it into a very shallow pot that will encourage aerial roots also. Might graft some as well if possible.

And yes I only just noticed myself the reduced lead size!

zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

Such a shame this was disqualified from the shohin comp damnit [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]

zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

I got impatient and reported this only after a few months as I found the perfect pot.

I also relocated the two aerial roots so we will see how that goes!

zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

Any feedback would be appreciated

Steve B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Steve B »

It can be quite a challenge to get aerial roots to grow in the right spots. Couple of strategies I have found useful:
- wrapping Sphagnum around spots you want to root with some plastic - almost like an air layer but you want to leave an escape path for the roots towards the ground if you can to avoid roughing them up when they are young and you need to get them heading in the right direction. Experimented with using poly/ag pipe as a growth channel for the roots to run down. Some successes but a LOT of messing around and disappointments along the way.
- taking cuttings and once established, planting them under a branch to look like an aerial root and getting them to graft into the existing branch. Works pretty well with figs BUT you can get some ugly grafting bulges as its hard to control for.
[img]
Schefflera%20banyan.JPG
[/img]
Here’s an example of a schefflera I used both techniques on. Look for the aerials to the right. The bigger is the grafted cutting. Couldn’t get it to work on the left hand of the tree for some reason, so have decided to live with it as is! This tree has been grafted together from a bunch of cuttings and then wrapped in spahgnum for a year to get the roots cascading down the front to break up the straight lines of the cuttings.

I like the look of your new pot, definitely suits the tree. There is the question of scale relating to your tree and the banyan style you are aiming for. The example shots you have above are of trees probably a meter tall and wider than that across the canopy. This scale helps with aerials as they can bulk out surprisingly quickly. For a smaller tree you need to be prepared to cut old ones off and regrow if they get too chunky. Personally if I had your tree I’d look to build out a highly ramified canopy and not worry about the aerial roots until the canopy takes shape and you take a view if its size will handle it OK. Enjoy it as a smaller canopy fig that is going to look good surprisingly quickly. In the meantime strike plenty of cuttings from the tree as you ramify it. Encourage them to grow long and straight for 20 to 30 cms. Once they take, you can look to graft them onto your fig and/or plant them in a low, wide pot (retainer trays for large pots work well with a couple of holes in them) and work like crazy to get them to graft together to look like a banyan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

Thanks a lot for the advice :)

Yes I think growing cuttings and grafting aerial roots sounds the most practical for me.

Once It settles into the new pot hopefully it will kick back into strong growth again. I’ll keep an eye on the graft I did do for bulging.

Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

more poo....
more poo....
more poo.....with poo on top!
zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:more poo....
more poo....
more poo.....with poo on top!
Hahaha yes I believe you are correct! As soon as it’s settled on new pot I’ll pile it up!

zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

Just defoliate all my figs and this one is coming along nicely IMO

zimzallabim
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by zimzallabim »

Found a lot I liked better for this tree. It’s really starting to get a nice canopy. Only have one aerial root now and I think it’s getting too think. Any thoughts?

Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Good on you Z.
I see progress happening here!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Category 2 withdrawn, disqualified or dead entries”