Using a poly-tunnel in Subtropical climates

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
AGarcia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougie, Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Using a poly-tunnel in Subtropical climates

Post by AGarcia »

Hello,

To improve survival rates of collected material and re-pots, I have been thinking of constructing a poly-tunnel to create a controlled humid environment for the tree. I live in Brisbane and am worried about our hot temperatures especially inside a greenhouse/poly-tunnel. The usual vents and fans may not be enough to bring down the temps inside. A shade house might be a solution, but this does not cut out all wind and makes it harder to create a humid environment. Another option is a combo of poly-tunnel with a shade cloth covering.

Questions:
Anyone using a poly-tunnel in similar conditions to Brisbane?
Would a shade house be enough if regular mist spraying is set up?
Anyone tried the combo poly-tunnel/shade house solution?
Any other ideas?

Thanks

AG
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Re: Using a poly-tunnel in Subtropical climates

Post by kvan64 »

I used greenhouse with a few buckets of water. This created high level of humidity/water vapor and worked quite well with a lot of colected plants of variety of species. I accidentally found out that this also induces leaf grow/ramificationin species of figs and flower production in wisteria.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Using a poly-tunnel in Subtropical climates

Post by Elmar »

Interesting thought!

My father set up his own Poly tunnel and all things in there grew like weeds - mind you, he made his own compost (smelled soo good you would want to eat it yourself!).

I am new to Bonsai and can't advise you in that respect, where my father lives (Hills of Perth) it gets hot but dry. He used to mist spray and when it got too hot open both ends to allow the breeze to flow thru. In late arvo he'd close it up again and mist. This would keep some of the radiated warmth and made it humid as well.

I guess the only sure way to find out is to try it, but don't risk your prized Bonsai until you are certain they will benefit. :reading:
Cheers
Elmar

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”