Winter sun

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
DustyRusty
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 10

Winter sun

Post by DustyRusty »

Isn't it awful? In midsummer I get 7 hours of sun to my trees- at the moment in this new place - 2 1/2 hours :palm:

But I found a spot at work (I live next door to work) that is a bare patch of land behind a wall that gets 7 hours of winter sun :cool:

Only problem is it is a little more exposed to public view, so higher chance of being stolen. What do you guys think: if I move my figs in grow pots there is it too risky? Not sure if they would be recognised as bonsai - certainly not worth anything at this stage. Worth the risk?
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Re: Winter sun

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Any public exposure is a risk that only you, with local knowledge of surrounding people and environment can assess.

The last place we rented faced a similar problem, hence the back "lawn" got NO sunlight at all through winter and was just dirt, but I did find that by raising my bonsai benches to almost 2m high I could catch about 4-5hrs. Maybe an option for you, depending on any public lines of sight?
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I did that when i first got into Bonsai with some collected tea trees. I was living in Melbourne in a factory and had put them outside for sun. Gone the first day. Aussies usually take anything that aint nailed down. Present company excluded :roll: of course :tu2:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
DustyRusty
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by DustyRusty »

Hmm thanks cre8 and bodi. Bodi that's a horror story :palm:

Ill assess the spot tomorrow again. Couple of things making it reasonably positive: it's on church property well onto the property, not near a street. It's up a sketchy embankment and elevated above where anyone would look. You'd have to strain to see them (I think). Also in a suburb in sydney known as very wealthy. Doesn't stop thieves but most have the money to buy what plants they want. But I need to reasses after that horror story from bodi. Thanks guys.
Last edited by DustyRusty on May 21st, 2013, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”