Hi Temps and hot days

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Hi Temps and hot days

Post by alpineart »

I thought yesterday was a hot one . This is 3 temps from the rear of my place . Under the veranda
P1080905.JPG
under the shade sails
P1080908.JPG
and out in the sun
P1080910.JPG
and its only 1.30 P.M , lookout at 3.30-4.00 P.M

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Re: Hi Temps and hot days

Post by Isitangus »

Ouch-do you have a watering system? If so does turning that on drop the temp?
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Mate those temps suck. My wife wouldn't let me live there with those temps. I think low-mid 20s here today. Next week is supposed to be up there though. Hope you have good aircon

Josh
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Where is that? Looks like my back yard!!

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Put up the shade cloth today for the coming hot spell; though we get it no where near as bad as Adelaide and Perth can get.

It will only stay up for about 4 to 6 weeks and then come down so as the plants don't get too soft.

I put the pines that are still elongating their new growth out into the full sun however. J black and red pines.

Grant
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Post by Meagi »

Gidday alpine
Your gas bill must of dropped you'd be able barbecue on concerate there
Man that's hot !!
See u next winter :lol:
More my type of weather
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Isitangus , watering in extreme temps boils the roots in the pots , it may cool for a few minutes , turn humid the back to red hot .

Hi Josh , the aircon is pumping full throttle .

Hi CoG' , Mate its definitly my back yard.

Hi Grant , i have used the shade sails for many years as the temps get too extreme , My JBP's and EBP's are in full sun in plastic pots , all the bonsai potted material will spend all summer under the sails as the pots absorb too much heat and cook the roots of the tree's if the soil is wet .. They are set up to have around 1 hour full sun at various times and the tree's placed accordingly . Afew plants were cooked today in the grow beds and green house .

Hi Meagi , i couldn't stand barefooted for longer than 3 seconds on the driveway without the hose running on the feet . Not looking forward to next week .

Cheers guys .Alpine
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Lol, I know what your going thru!
We've been putting mist sprays into our fans but with our current humidity that does little.
I've seen a suggestion to cover pots with towels ~ keeping them wet.
Others suggest the trees sitting in a shallow tray of water, but I can't see that working well. I'd rather use wet newspaper or carpet... Even if it is only for insulation!

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

It got this idea of doing a Bench (to display trees) that has a water reservoir in the shelf just below the top. Then using a pond pump, recycling the water (on a timer) in a cascade fashion over the trees. But I intend to place it so that it only gets morning to mid morning sun and shaded from the middle of the day till evening. I'll reposition it in winter.

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

We have a serious bushfire rageing at the moment in the hills around Mundaring Parkerville Chidlow, we do have members in that area so let us hope they are safe.

My trees get the shade cloth treatment every yeartemp in my shade house at back yesterday was 49 just short of going off the scale. Mulch is the way most of my friends do theirs using Lucerne hay.
Does not look good but does the job, as I am retired I can and do water as needed.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi CoG' , Mate i have tried and tested every thing possible some are just not practicle , sand trays and wet beds lay here everywhere on the terraces , benches , ground and shade house , covering the pots is out of the question as the watering cant be monitored as needed through the heat . I would need shares in a linen or carpet factory to cover them with material , hence the shade sails do the best job here , watering the foliage in extreme heat just burns the leaves and does more damage .

Hi Pup , i have dressed the grow beds with straw to save them from the heat but the foliage copped a flogging on a lot of material even the root cutting were damaged or lost in the beds yesterday . The black birds rip the straw from off the pots chasing bugs adding to the problems , in the past . Bloody dangerous weather for fires , hope all residents stay safe and get out of harms way .

Cheers Guys .Alpine
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Pup wrote:We have a serious bushfire rageing at the moment in the hills around Mundaring Parkerville Chidlow, we do have members in that area so let us hope they are safe.

My trees get the shade cloth treatment every yeartemp in my shade house at back yesterday was 49 just short of going off the scale. Mulch is the way most of my friends do theirs using Lucerne hay.
Does not look good but does the job, as I am retired I can and do water as needed.

Cheers Pup
Was/is just down the road from me, but luckily didn't push down to us :( We're doing a couple of runs tonight up to Mundaring and Brown Park evacuations centers, to drop off some supplies for all those in need. My heart goes out to those directly affected, something like 48 houses destroyed already :(

I've set up gravel trays for some of my plants, and the rest just sit in a tray of water under them with no gravel (not ideal, but does the job). I'll take those away tonight once it's cooled, as it was only to keep them wet for the weekend temps. I also move my smaller tree's into the shady area (ie under my bench) for the really hot days.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

I'm thinking seriously of deleting all japanese maples from my collection-they need too much protection-any hint of a warm breeze and the leaf edge crisps up-they only look good for a couple of weeks as they come into leaf ,then it's all downhill from there--the heat affected leaves also slow the development of the tree during the growing season so most are still sticks in pots after several years with none having any real potential for 'nice tree'------reckon I'll stick to the tougher maples and elms--even without the Japanese maps I'll have plenty to do.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Pup wrote:We have a serious bushfire rageing at the moment in the hills around Mundaring Parkerville Chidlow, we do have members in that area so let us hope they are safe.

Does not look good but does the job, as I am retired I can and do water as needed
Cheers Pup
Not good having fires again over there. We don't have a tv at the moment so have no idea what's going on. I worked in Mundaring when we travelled around OZ so know the area well. I'm putting shade up tomorrow but temps aren't as bad as yours though.
Hope alls ok over there.

Josh.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well its the first time i have been in temps this high
P1090001.JPG
Cracking the half century and slowly rising . Not a sound outside i think the birds might have fallen out of the tree's , its bloody hard to breath outside for me so the wildlife would certainly struggle . Time to consider ripping up the driveway and planting sun tuff grass or maybe synthetic lawn to ease the heat .

Hope all are safe around the country . Cheers Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”