Impressive lightning show, and then fires.

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Impressive lightning show, and then fires.

Post by bodhidharma »

Well, we dodged a bullet last night with several fires just down the road started by lightning. It was amazing and scary with strikes hitting the ground and a fire starting. As the band rolled in, within ten minutes you could see the screen light up with fires. I think the Mallee was the worst. we went into prep mode by opening up the shelter and getting the necessary paper work into the bunker (up yours insurance company's) and then hooking up the fire fighter unit in preparation. we have a good plan and have rehearsed the scenario but the real thing (with your heart pounding) is a different ball game. The young bloke was a bit frightened and that was understandable as i was shari'ing myself a bit. Anyway, stay safe Victoria as it looks set to continue for the rest of the week..
Last edited by bodhidharma on January 15th, 2014, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
g.raft
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Impressive lightning show, and then fires.

Post by g.raft »

Hi bodhidharma,

I wouldn't be pulling your documents out of that bunker just yet. I have some insider knowledge that the fire fighters are pretty worried about this evening/tonight with another band of lightning coming thru!

Stay safe out there everyone, it's going to be nasty fire weather for the next few days (I wouldn't be travelling anywhere Friday afternoon unless absolutely necessary)
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Stay safe mate, glad to hear you have a plan for this type of scenario, too many people over here were caught unawares by the recent fires and lost a lot of unreplacable stuff. Hope everything goes well for everyone affected
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

46 today --48 tomorrow--45 friday- then brrrrr! 38 saturday---on the jobsite 5.30 am--home and in the pool by 1pm--trouble is the pool is getting to bath temp :)
bamboos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives , figs
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by bamboos »

I hope everyone is ok with all these fires the most important thing is to stay safe --- you can always replace material things but you only live once!
Good luck
Steve
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Sounds like a great set up you have Bodhi. So is there a bunker for your trees too :lol: Dad was in the CFA for many years and we evacuated a couple of times. Had to let the farm animals run loose one time. Not a good feeling. Even though we were prepared and new what to do, in the heat of the moment it's a scary feeling. Stay safe all and hope your tres survive ok.

Josh.

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”