hot hot hot climate - Completely lost as to where to start..

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
AGarcia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougie, Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Re: hot hot hot climate - Completely lost as to where to start..

Post by AGarcia »

A shade house with gravel trays should be the go for you in Isa.

Don't forget Bougies. I remember seeing them used as street scape trees there. Looked great.

Good luck with it.

AG
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Gray rikx,
In the beginning (IF you're like me) the enthusiasm is enormous and your bound to make a few (in my case lots) of mistakes.
Preparation and "Local" knowledge will help you succeed!
I have managed to kill every tree I've owned or been given (ashamed to say), so this year (2nd) I'm focusing more on Horticultural development (for me) so I can propagate and hopefully keep my trees happy!
Shade houses are a good idea, local species an even better idea, figs/Bougies grow like weeds and are awesome trainers... and once you get better with keeping them alive, you can start to 'make' Bonsai. Funny thing is, keep them alive and they'll turn in to little trees, no matter what you do... Fatalities excluded.

I have recently bought large trays that I intend to fill with gravel/river sand and keep wet for the pots to sit on. From one trial I have done, the healthy tree grows out the bottom and into the trays.
Extra water, extra nutrients giving extra roots and foliage - hopefully translating to healthier trees. Well, my ones are healthier than those without!
Read lots! And then some more and ask (don't worry if you think you sound foolish - everyone here has been where you are at one stage) you'll get help.

Control your variables! Don't change 15 things at once and then ask 'what went wrong'... guilty as charged!

I also get multiple of each plant I buy (usually 2 to 4) just because I know myself, and while some dies, some survive and some come back from the dead (awesome feeling!)

Oh, and try Hard, not to love your trees to death!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Post by Rintar »

Jarad wrote:
Rintar wrote:http://endemicplants.com/ found this a nursery place in Mount Isa collects seeds from natives and grows them their are species their used for bonsai by some members... They seem willing to give plenty of advice but as you are doing bonsai may need it tapered by a site like this.
I see you also googled "Mt Isa Native Plants" :lol:
No i googled something similar then my computer took that long to post that yours appeared (i had to keep retrying to post it.) sorry bout the double posting :) :palm: :tu2:
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
rikx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by rikx »

Elmar wrote:Gray rikx,
In the beginning (IF you're like me) the enthusiasm is enormous and your bound to make a few (in my case lots) of mistakes.
Preparation and "Local" knowledge will help you succeed!
I have managed to kill every tree I've owned or been given (ashamed to say), so this year (2nd) I'm focusing more on Horticultural development (for me) so I can propagate and hopefully keep my trees happy!
Shade houses are a good idea, local species an even better idea, figs/Bougies grow like weeds and are awesome trainers... and once you get better with keeping them alive, you can start to 'make' Bonsai. Funny thing is, keep them alive and they'll turn in to little trees, no matter what you do... Fatalities excluded.

I have recently bought large trays that I intend to fill with gravel/river sand and keep wet for the pots to sit on. From one trial I have done, the healthy tree grows out the bottom and into the trays.
Extra water, extra nutrients giving extra roots and foliage - hopefully translating to healthier trees. Well, my ones are healthier than those without!
Read lots! And then some more and ask (don't worry if you think you sound foolish - everyone here has been where you are at one stage) you'll get help.

Control your variables! Don't change 15 things at once and then ask 'what went wrong'... guilty as charged!

I also get multiple of each plant I buy (usually 2 to 4) just because I know myself, and while some dies, some survive and some come back from the dead (awesome feeling!)

Oh, and try Hard, not to love your trees to death!

Cheers
Elmar
You have hit the nail on the head right there.. i am completely green to all of this and have been reading about different things every second i have spare. I too was going to go the route of plant many and hope i manage to get a few.. the numbers should blanket me as a novice lol.. i find it fairly hard to find exactly qhat im asking on the forum sometimes.. but time and patience will get me more educated.. thanks for the advice.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Post by Rintar »

ELMAR gets a gold star for his post so true on all accounts ive been lucky to only kill a few asi have had local help and stuck to hardy trees
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447544468.592199.jpg
Yesterday... Damn!

Cheers
Elmar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Elmar
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447544503.714461.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447544527.512546.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447544581.575011.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447544596.458212.jpg
Seasol baths for everyone... Hope the pull thru!

Cheers
Elmar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Elmar
rikx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rikx »

Elmar wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447544468.592199.jpg
Yesterday... Damn!

Cheers
Elmar
Yeah we had 42.8 on friday and yes it does feel like 130 especially when the wind dies down. Cant even sit outside without sweating.. not very nice.. and its not even summer yet :/
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

How are your trees fairing, mate?

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
rikx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rikx »

Elmar wrote:How are your trees fairing, mate?

Cheers
Elmar
Havent actually got any still in the process of learning at the moment and havent have a chance to head down to the local nursery to have a look.. will be doing that next week.. picking up what i need and getting stuck into the trial and error stage.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

rikx wrote: Havent actually got any still in the process of learning at the moment and havent have a chance to head down to the local nursery to have a look.. will be doing that next week.. picking up what i need and getting stuck into the trial and error stage.
Whatever you think this number is, double it and try different things on different trees (depending on how much space you have). It'll save you a few trips to the nursery.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
rikx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rikx »

Jarad wrote:
rikx wrote: Havent actually got any still in the process of learning at the moment and havent have a chance to head down to the local nursery to have a look.. will be doing that next week.. picking up what i need and getting stuck into the trial and error stage.
Whatever you think this number is, double it and try different things on different trees (depending on how much space you have). It'll save you a few trips to the nursery.
Yeah i was gonna do quite a few just in case.. well.. because im sure some wont make it.. i have a fair amount of room that isnt in the way.. but i have to set it all up first
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

Another thing I didn't mention, I tried a couple of variegated options (read later that they are 'less' suitable because they aren't able to photosynthesize as well) - fact or fiction, all mine died.

But that could have been me, not the variegation!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
rikx
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rikx »

Elmar wrote:Another thing I didn't mention, I tried a couple of variegated options (read later that they are 'less' suitable because they aren't able to photosynthesize as well) - fact or fiction, all mine died.

But that could have been me, not the variegation!

Cheers
Elmar
Are certain plants more suited to varigation? I mean take to it easier?.. i think i have to focus on them living first lol
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmar »

rikx wrote: Are certain plants more suited to varigation? I mean take to it easier?.. i think i have to focus on them living first lol
I have take "variegation" to mean where the leaves are part white (very pale green) and green as opposed to being all green. They are very pretty, I suppose ... but not always in the best interest of horticultural processes.
variegated-leaves-growing-bunch-green-off-white-35107559.jpg
images-2.jpeg
hope that helps.
Cheers
Elmar

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”