To Darwin from Central Coast NSW - Which species will cope?

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Ninegrain
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus spp., Ulmus spp. & Acer spp.
Bonsai Age: 10

To Darwin from Central Coast NSW - Which species will cope?

Post by Ninegrain »

Hi all,

I will very likely be moving from the NSW Central Coast to Darwin in February-March next year. I will be there for at least three years before I have the chance to return back to the Coast or to move elsewhere. I have a reasonable collection of Bonsai and stock trees and of course I don't want to have to leave them behind with a carer until I return. But for various reasons I may well have to do so, or sell them...

Anyone familiar with the plant importation and quarantine laws of the NT? I have not yet fully investigated these. Are there bans on any of the species below and/or quarantine restrictions due to potential pests and diseases they may carry? I am aware that I will have to contact appropriate people for permits. Has anyone gone through this process before?

Aside from these laws though, I would like to ask what species I should not consider taking due to the Darwin climate. I will post a list of the species I have below, but basically I would like to hear from members who live in Darwin or similar climates about what species they have had and tried which are on this list, and which you think will not be a good idea to attempt to take with reasons why. I am enquiring now so that I can decide which trees to move on from my collection before I run out of time to find suitable homes for them. I do have my suspicions for a lot of them, but will check with you all first :)

The list:

Ficus spp.- should be fine...
Chinese Elm- I have some large and well developed/quality stock, don't want to have to sell...
Trident Maples
Japanese Maples
Silver Elm
Prunus spp. (Peach & Plum)
Fejoa
Cherry Guava
Juniper
Liquidambar
River Red Gum
Allocasuarina torulosa
Cape/African honeysuckle
Hoop pine
Bunya pine

Of all these, it is mostly just a few of the figs and Chinese elms that I would like to keep the most due to their age, development and sentimental value. The rest don't really hold as much sentimental value/work, but I would still like to take them if possible as many have good development potential...

Thanks in advance! :tu:
Last edited by Ninegrain on November 15th, 2015, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Re: To Darwin from Central Coast NSW - Which species will cope?

Post by Rintar »

From google
Darwin Bonsai Club

Is Darwin Bonsai Club incorrect or missing key business information? Update your Hotfrog listing today.

Contact details

Address: 235 Whitewood Rd, Howard Springs, NT 0835
Tel: (08) 8983 1092
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
Rintar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all mostly natives
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Newcastle (paid but not regular)

Post by Rintar »

From ausbonsai wiki: Northern Territory
Bonsai Interest Group (NT) Darwin mike.robyn@bigpond.com. If others here dont respond they would be good starting points. I've never done it but had a mate who took ficus with him when he was posted up their. CAPE/african honeysuckle you think would also be fine. Dont think the maples would be good.
Regards Jason
Not yet a Novice but keen to be one

https://www.instagram.com/backyardbonsaiaustralia/

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by fossil finder »

Darwin is a tough gig Ninegrain. I made the move from northern NSW to Darwin some years ago and lost bonsai I thought would survive. The humidity will probably be the greatest threat to your plants. Unlike southern climes the humidity changes very little so disease can kick off very easily.
The danger is increased because the tendancy is to have plants partly shaded to avoid some of the stinging day time heat. The 'knock me down' storms are something that has to be experienced to comprehend fully. If it was me I'd be finding somebody (experienced) to look after the cooler climate species you want to keep.
Not sure of regulations now but there used to be fruit fly inspection stations on QLD/ NT border and east of Darwin so there may be an issue with bonsai plants especially fruiting species.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
Ninegrain
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus spp., Ulmus spp. & Acer spp.
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Ninegrain »

fossil finder wrote:Darwin is a tough gig Ninegrain. I made the move from northern NSW to Darwin some years ago and lost bonsai I thought would survive. The humidity will probably be the greatest threat to your plants. Unlike southern climes the humidity changes very little so disease can kick off very easily.
The danger is increased because the tendancy is to have plants partly shaded to avoid some of the stinging day time heat. The 'knock me down' storms are something that has to be experienced to comprehend fully. If it was me I'd be finding somebody (experienced) to look after the cooler climate species you want to keep.
Not sure of regulations now but there used to be fruit fly inspection stations on QLD/ NT border and east of Darwin so there may be an issue with bonsai plants especially fruiting species.

Thanks for the advice fossil finder.

I thought as much for the cooler climate species. I wont be able to house all of them with the person I have in mind, maybe one or two tops, so I feel a sale event at the society may be in my near future :cry:

I found this post from a few years ago viewtopic.php?f=102&t=14429, where Chinese Elms are suggested to be able to handle it... If I can get my figs and elms through the change then that should keep me satisfied :)
Last edited by Ninegrain on November 17th, 2015, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”