Frosty Friday

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Frosty Friday

Post by Sno »

Tomorrow's forecast is frost . At this time of year it can be a problem . I spent the evening protecting my trees .
image.jpg
I have collected old bird cages which I place over the tree and when a spring or summer frost is predicted I throw a sheet over them .
image.jpg
image.jpg
Some stuff I don't bother protecting depending on how frost hardy It is or what stage of growth it's at or if it needs a prune ;) .
Some easy shohin protection .
image.jpg
image.jpg
Some trees get really pampered
image.jpg
I do have a glass house but I have a problem that my collecting is out of control :palm: and I have to catch up with the infrastructure to look after it properly , until then I make do.
Cheers Sno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sno on November 26th, 2015, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOGGINATOR
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: fig
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Frosty Friday

Post by MOGGINATOR »

lol wow thats epic to protect the trees

you secretly robbed a pet shop for all the cages didnt ya :lol: :lol: :lol:

and its not being crazy its commitment all that money would be a waste if the trees died in the frost

have you thought about putting up a removeable shade mesh to protect the trees from frost would be much quicker than all the cages
I like gardening - it's a place where I find myself when I need to lose myself.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

MOGGINATOR wrote:lol wow thats epic to protect the trees

you secretly robbed a pet shop for all the cages didnt ya :lol: :lol: :lol:

and its not being crazy its commitment all that money would be a waste if the trees died in the frost

have you thought about putting up a removeable shade mesh to protect the trees from frost would be much quicker than all the cages
I am a liberator of birds everywhere :) . I have plans to build something more permanent it's just time and dosh . It has to be strong to survive the winds up here . The bird cages are easy enough to move around if I have to.
So it was a fairly light frost ,it still amazes me things that I didn't protect and thought would be affected look fine while other things which you don't expect to be bothered got burnt . It's all in the timing of growth .
This is a photo of Tasmannia lanceolata showing signs of frost burn . This species is local and grows up to an elevation of 1600 m
image.jpg
image.jpg
Chance again of frost tonight and maybe next Thursday .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

Had a light frost here as well Sno. No damage noticeable . I moved a couple things but no heroic efforts ! Cheers Graham

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”