Autumn 2016

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
orpy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Re: Autumn 2016

Post by orpy »

Isn't that interesting. Maybe mine isn't true SK. It was nursery bought, labelled as produced by Flemmings, who I think of as fairly reputable. It's definitely grafted, but with a ringer perhaps...a flamin Flemmings [COPYRIGHT SIGN] instead? I planted as a landscape tree (4yrs ago) and this is more pale and soft than I've seen it, so far. I'd expect some environmental variation, but how much? What impact does more sun, less rain, cooler nights, altitude & inland vs coastal have on colour? Does this extend to colour tone? I'd expect more vibrant colour in Yack than Melb and less colour in Melb...but softer tones? If you google SK, you get soft yellows to orange and red. Some will def be seed grown imposters, but maybe environment is a factor on true SK clones? Do you think the colour of this one is outside the range that SK can produce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orpy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by orpy »

Truth wrote: I got my Kashima late spring from memory, it pushed new buds out over mid-summer, but got promptly burned to a crisp. Just about all the leaves have dropped from that one now, not much colour. Definitely a cultivar that needs shade from midday onwards, which is what I've read even from our bonsai colleagues in the US and Europe too, in much milder climates.
Good advice - thanks Truth. Shelter it shall receive and further learnings from abroad I shall seek. I'm reading Peter Adams' 'Bonsai with JMs' which has two Kashima progressions featured. Both stunning. The Autumn peach/orange is beautiful.

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Environment definitely influences in autumn colour and this year was different to any other I have experienced so that's definitely a possibility.
Agreed that Flemmings should be reliable, however there's a whole chain of responsibility that can impact on the final labelling of the tree. Grower grows hundreds of each of multiple similar vars which are harvested at around the same time not individually labelled at this stage. Should be bundled together but occasionally a staff member may grab one or more from the wrong pile? - new apprentice, casual labour, Friday afternoon or Monday morning?
Trees for retailer are taken from the bare root beds 5, 10 or 20 at a time and tied into bundles, often with just one label to Id the bunch. Enough labels for the others are supplied with the order for the retailer to apply as they see fit.
Another person may be responsible for tying individual labels onto individual trees - bugger of a job so given to apprentice, casual, etc. More possibility of errors.
Trees held at the retailer for a year or more. Labels may come off and are reattached - to the correct tree?
I know enough to be able to identify mislabelled trees at nurseries but there are just so many stages where a mistake can be made that I'm amazed it does not happen more often. That does not mean that yours is not SK. Just that I have not seen them that colour before but prepared to broaden my knowledge all the time. :D

My seedling rant earlier is because I know there are growers who sell seedlings as named vars. We have had one locally before wholesaling to many retailers in this area. Now we have a well meaning lady selling seedling grown SK (with commercial labels) at local markets and an Ausbonsai member has obtained a job lot of these from her and is offering them as SK bonsai :palm: Many just don't understand.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
orpy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by orpy »

Interesting insights to the trade Neil. I share your sentiment on anyone selling seedlings or seeds incorrectly as cultivars and like your approach of educating those of us on ausbonsai.

itsfullofstars
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by itsfullofstars »

Virginia creeper that i'm growing from a cutting. That was the colour on the 9th of June. Pretty amazing !

And damn those things are easy to grow from cuttings!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I just ordered this from Melbourne, apparently this tree goes ok here in Brisbane...http://www.maplesxmail.com.au/proddetai ... ngo%5FKaku

Now I'm just hoping that I get what it says I'm getting!!!

Bought three little Japanese maples from Steve down at Park Ridge this morning too. Best time to pick because the colours are good...
IMG_5881.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by melbrackstone on June 19th, 2016, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orpy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by orpy »

Here are my last two Japanese Maples to colour up. Maybe I should've started a winter colour thread for these! I've only had the 'Oto hime' two months, so this will definitely be a looong term project being one of the dwarf varieties. The graft isn't great, but I had to have it. Does anyone have any experience with how strong this will be on its own roots? I may look to air layer it off the rootstock if strong enough. The red has come up nicely however the yellow patches look like they could be fungal - can anyone with more experience confirm?
The Acer Palmatum is in a fairly sheltered position under a Red Box Euc canopy, so is always the last to colour up at my place.
Cheers,
Brett
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

test

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”