Hot Day

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Hot Day

Post by shibui »

The thermometer on the back verandah shows 42.4C at 3pm today. That's hot enough I reckon.
I have erected the shadecloth over part of the nursery. This is the part where I keep the more tender species, smaller and shallower pots and younger plants.
P1160436.JPG
Pines and natives still get to enjoy the sunshine.
P1160435.JPG
today I moved Japanese maple, crab apple, English elm, a shimpaku juniper and a tridents that has not been repotted for a few years under the shade until it cools down again. I think I have watered well enough this morning so the other display trees are still in full sun :fc:
P1160432.JPG
P1160433.JPG
The callistemon is a great indicator plant. It has roots over a large rock so the pot is effectively smaller (and rocks tend to wick moisture out of the pots). Soft shoots of this callistemon droop easily when it starts to get dry but they stand up quickly without damage when I water it again.
I just checked and can't find any drooping tips so far :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Hot Day

Post by Matthew »

Neil

yep its hot . I think tomorrow will be worse with a hot northerly before a cool change :D I had a massive storm my place last night while I was out on the ride on. 15 mm in 9min , temp dropped 20 degress in a few minutes small hail and wind . I got soaked to the bone in 15 seconds but loved every second of it :D
Charliegreen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Charliegreen »

Too many days over 35 this summer. So many of my trees are in struggle street.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Someone told me there was reports of rain nearby last night. Not a drop here, just uncomfortably hot until early morning.

I'm not sure what your climate is like Charliegreen. 35C does not seem hot to me here because we regularly get over 40C days in summer. I guess it is what you are accustomed to that determines what a person perceives as excessive. I am told that it has been drier and warmer than usual up north. We have had a much cooler summer than usual. Only one other day above 40 before this. In fact it has been quite cool overnight up till now.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

6pm and the temp is now down to 38.6C
as predicted, the Callistemon is showing that it is getting dry.
P1160437.JPG
The nearby bonsai tridents , still in full, sun are fine
P1160439.JPG
but I found some in 11cm plastic pots that did not have enough moisture and have drooped a bit.
P1160440.JPG
All have been watered now and should return to normal in 30 minutes or so. Will be interesting to see if any have sustained burnt leaves today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PAC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives,Junipers, JBP
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: National, Bonsai Study Group

Post by PAC »

Crazy weather it reached 44 at my place today (20 minutes north of Sydney city) hasn't been that hot in the 14 years Ive been here. Shibui I use my callistemons as a gauge as well, although I got caught out today. I had some serious wilting so moved lots of tress into shade and watered them again. I have leaf burn on maples, banskia, crabapple and a camellia. I've just come inside (9pm) after drowning everything in preparation for tomorrow. Phew what a hobby!

Regards
Paul C.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I find that one watering is not enough Paul. Even before the mix is dry enough for the tips to wilt it becomes water repellent and takes a lot to get it properly wet. Even when you think you've flooded the pots I have found that the centre is still bone dry. most of the water just flows right through. Let the mix soak up the water it has then water heavily again in a couple of hours (or in the morning at this time of night). The second watering soaks more easily into the damp part of the mix and starts to penetrate into the dry interior. Apart from soaking the pot in a tub it is the only way I've found to properly wet a dry pot.
My trees are watered every morning and every evening all summer.
I've been caught out after rain thinking that the pots will have absorbed moisture. In fact I think the full canopy of leaves makes most of the rain run off and it actually misses the pot completely. Unless it has rained all day or night I'll still water as normal.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

It's interesting you use your Callistemon as an indicator plant Shibui. I was using a different native (banksia) for mine until I came home from holidays in late Jan to find it had been indicating for some time it required more water ... :shake:
Ironically, natives seem to be more thirsty than exotics throughout summer (for me anyway).
I'm sure we'll all be complaining about the cold soon enough! :shock:
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Ryceman3 wrote: I'm sure we'll all be complaining about the cold soon enough! :shock:
Its forecast to be 1 degree on Monday night here . Some of my neighbours may have a frost :o . Living on a hill I will be spared that expierance . Today was 31 and Shibui is right ,it is all relative because it was hot for me and for my trees . Tomorrow it's going to be a scorching 35 . And for the mountains that is hot .
Stay cool guys .
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

It sure was a hot one! My gauge plants are basil, chilli and mint. The Basil is the first to wilt, then the chilli and I must make sure I've watered before the mint does.

Thanks for the post Neil, it was a good reminder for me to water again today as the basil had wilted.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I am in Dubbo for an Athletics carnival all weekend!!!!!
Was 47 on the way home from work today. My daughter has strict instructions water everything 2 times each day if over 40 deg
Everything else should be fine e
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Really it is just hot everywhere in Victoria :shock: I have taken down my shade sails last year so most trees are in full sun. No option but to water twice a day and sing songs of "Eternal watering"
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Some cloud cover this morning and several attempts at rain but nothing significant however that has kept the temp lower today but unpleasantly humid.
Those tridents that had wilted tips have some scorched leaves. No other apparent damage but I found some of the older, inner leaves on the Japanese maples in the grow beds are scorched. Newer upper leaves are fine so maybe those older leaves are not adjusted to the hotter summer sun.
Keep up the water everyone and :fc: for you Bodhi without the shade to help.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Like shibul was pretty damn humid here and so a little cooler. A change coming with temps not expecting to rise above 32 for a week. Shade cloth off tomorrow for a bit and pine work on the cards. Have noticed little leaf scorching so far
Last edited by Matthew on February 11th, 2017, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

It's interesting you use your Callistemon as an indicator plant Shibui. I was using a different native (banksia) for mine until I came home from holidays in late Jan to find it had been indicating for some time it required more water ... :shake:
After this comment I looked at my Banksias. Sure enough lots of soft new growth, even more than the callistemon has so I'm sure they would be great indicators as well. the little B. integ that is on the stand next to my Callistemon has hardened off so might not wilt early enough to be useful at the moment.
Ironically, natives seem to be more thirsty than exotics throughout summer (for me anyway).
I've also noticed that, in pots, many of my natives are really thirsty as well. I think, with banksias anyway, that is at least partly the result of prolific root growth. The dead ones I have dissected have had such dense root ball that water could not penetrate and they died from lack of water despite being watered well twice a day. Now make sure I root prune banksias every year when young and the older ones every couple of years to prevent this. I have noticed the same with wisteria.

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”