Bonsai at the Extreme of their Natural Range

Australian conditions vary from one extreme to another. What do you do and when do you do it?
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Bonsai at the Extreme of their Natural Range

Post by Bretts »

I have been growing Silk Floss tree Chorisia speciosa from seed. They will be heading into their second winter and are going well. I believe they are related to the Baobab tree and are tropical. Last Winter they had grown through their pot into another pot so it took me a while to get them into the shade house. I was surprised how well they handled the light frost of early Winter. They are still all in one pot, in fact I am considering leaving them like this as a Forrest but they are already in the shade house away from the hard frost that we may get over Winter.
Here is a picture in flower for those that don't know this species.
Floss%20Silk%20Tree.jpg
And a close up of the Trunk :twisted:
BG - Tree.JPG
I will try to remember to upload a picture of mine and their cute little spikes that are just starting to emerge on the trunk :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Biggest Larch I have ever seen

Post by Bretts »

Well I haven't seen many :lol:
Picked this up yesterday so I have something a little bigger than my seedlings to play with and see if I can grow them out here :D
larch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Brett I think you better move to Scotland with your passion for cool climate trees
Craig
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

craigw60 wrote:Hi Brett I think you better move to Scotland with your passion for cool climate trees
Craig
Och Aye Laddie.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all,

Banksia serrata grows down the east coast of Australia and I believe it grows on some of the bass strait islands and just on the northwest tip of Tasmania.

A very large bonsai one in Melbourne died a few years ago and another struggled through the last summer(a cold February after some leaf stripping ).

Is melbourne at the extreme end of the range of Banksia serrata?

Has anyone else had any bad experiences with B serrata?

I am always curious about experiences with Banksia.

Grant
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Banksia serrata do well in Sydney I think. I am sure Ray Nesci has at least one.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

kcpoole wrote:Banksia serrata do well in Sydney I think. I am sure Ray Nesci has at least one.

Ken
Hi ken,

Sydney is in the middle of its natural range so would do well there.

I was more interested in info from further south.

Thanks
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Mine struggle here Grant and most of mine have died. I think they are not frost tolerant . My experience has been that they stop drinking and then develop root rot. The leaves yellow and then they die. The yellowing of the leaves suggest not enough food but i know that has not been the case with mine. Q.V has a nice one though. Mind you, i have a wonderful tree growing on my property but they struggle in a pot culture.I have the same problem with figs.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:Mine struggle here Grant and most of mine have died. I think they are not frost tolerant . My experience has been that they stop drinking and then develop root rot. The leaves yellow and then they die. The yellowing of the leaves suggest not enough food but i know that has not been the case with mine. Q.V has a nice one though. Mind you, i have a wonderful tree growing on my property but they struggle in a pot culture.I have the same problem with figs.

Thanks for that and very interesting.

In Canberra we can get frosting of some leaves of B serrata and b aemula but the trees seem hardy here otherwise.

Maybe in pot culture the trees can't take prolonged cold and frost. Is your area mostly dry or somewhat wet?

Grant
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

We were dry for a long time and then the drought ended and we had non stop rain for two years. Maybe the trees could not adjust to the two extremes. I have one at the moment in a very large pot and we are experiencing sunny days, then going into very, very cold nights. I am now noticing yellowing of the leaves but only slightly.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:We were dry for a long time and then the drought ended and we had non stop rain for two years. Maybe the trees could not adjust to the two extremes. I have one at the moment in a very large pot and we are experiencing sunny days, then going into very, very cold nights. I am now noticing yellowing of the leaves but only slightly.
Banksia do suffer from root rot in adverse conditions so that is a possibility. Leave any major work on foliage or roots till it warms up but also don't leave it till too long after Xmas just in case you have a short summer as well.

I am currently in your neck of the woods ( well within a few hundred klms) and it is cold and wet.

Grant

Return to “Climate, Weather and timing”