hydrogen peroxide?

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Paulneill
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 10

hydrogen peroxide?

Post by Paulneill »

Hi guys

I was wondering if any of you have tried using hydrogen peroxide to kill bacteria or fungus that maybe In the soil.
I have came across a few references to people using it for these reasons . I always thought it was not possible to kill fungus in the soil. I am considering using it on my collected hawthorn that both have some type of fungal black spot , I gave them both a spray with lime sulphur recently to kill any spores on the trunk . I cleaned the soil surface of weeds and organic matter and gave it a light coat also.

Anyone got any experience in this matter ? :worship:
Alan Peck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Re: hydrogen peroxide?

Post by Alan Peck »

Hi Paulneill,

This is of some interest, I collected 2 Hawthorne from Jindabyne last year and they are boxed up progressing but the foilage does suffer from Mildew. I have sprayed them a few times with lime sulphur but they still suffer. Shall try Mancozeb next. It maybe that they will take a while to aclimatize to the nsw central caost after their very seasonal environment of the Snowie Mountains compared to the humidity up here close to Lake Macquarie. I may be wrong but black spot and fungal related deseases are not generated from the soil mix, but I'll stand corrected on that one.
Shall welcome any advise too.
Are they collected trees or from nursery stock from your area.? :fc:
Paulneill
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Paulneill »

Hi Allan
Hawthorn are part of the rose family and are susceptible to black spot. The spores can enter the soil from fallen leaves. And re enter via the roots.
The back spot on one of my trees was not obvious as there were no black spots visible instead crackers were forming on the green shoots causing the whole branch to die. I thought it was caterpillars eating the branch. After a lot of research and misdiagnosis I realised it was black spot , the weeds in the same pot as the tree were showing signs of it which confirmed it for me . I added to the problem always blasting the foliage with water in an effort to remove any small insects.
The trees were collected for goulbourn last spring.
Alan Peck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Post by Alan Peck »

Thanks for that info. Put mine in fresh well drained soil mix so I shall persevere with the spraying for leafy mildew. They are in full sun too so they have 2 chances as far as I'm concerned. Some you win, some you lose. I also have them next door to each other so they will be split up today.
Keep up the postings on this one. :lost:

Return to “Pests and Diseases”