Pest identification on Desert Ash

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
lenlen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English elm
Bonsai Age: 0

Pest identification on Desert Ash

Post by lenlen »

Hi everyone,

Just noticed this pest on my Desert Ash, I'm guessing it's some type of scale? If so, what's the best way to treat it?
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Re: Pest identification on Desert Ash

Post by Andrew Legg »

Len, if you are talking about te gloopy looking stuff at the base, that looks like slime mould to me, a sign of overwatering or the tree remaining too damp for too long. Perhaps it's in a very composts mix? I don't know if it's harmful other than potentially causing rot, but I'd scrape it of, and back off on the watering as well as get the tree into more sun. I"m not 100% sure about this, but look it up and see if it makes sense.

Cheers,

Andrew
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Pest identification on Desert Ash

Post by shibui »

Most of the photo is out of focus so hard to see what you are talking about. I can see what looks like an ant on the left of the trunk. Ants often mean scale or aphid because the ants look after the pests in order to collect the sweet honeydew the scales and aphid produce.
Scale appears as a small, raised lump, usually on the leaves. You can flip them off with a fingernail or tweezers and if you squash them you will usually see some wet bug juice. Oil sprays are effective as are metho and soap sprays. Otherwise try a systemic like confidor. You may need to treat several times to kill further hatchings.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pests and Diseases”