Trident Maple Pest - Don't know if it will occur

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
RevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers
Bonsai Age: 1

Trident Maple Pest - Don't know if it will occur

Post by RevoEvoS »

As I was unwiring several wires on the branch of my Japanese Trident Maple, I discovered several white insects/bugs.
It can jump of the branch and walk, white and furry towards the end but its no bigger than a black ant.

Couldn't supply images since it was only 2 that I found so far and don't know if my other bonsai species have it as well.
What type of treatment could I use in general to protect my other bonsai. 1-2 drop of dish detergent/ 9 parts water and if I spray the leafs, branches and trunk. Will the Soap Water cause problems in the soil and possibly kill my bonsai?
trident76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple, Ash, Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Re: Trident Maple Pest - Don't know if it will occur

Post by trident76 »

Leave the detergent for your dishes.
You need to be spraying an insecticide that will alleviate what I'm guessing is aphids or similar pests.
After roughly 20 years of growing bonsai, I reckon I might just be starting to get the hang of it...
Naimul
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Naimul »

try spraying with a jet of water (not too strong so that it damages the tree) and try wash off the pests if you dont want to use insectisides. do it for a few days and see if it helps. i used to get spidermites ALL OVER my chinese elm, but thankfully i managed to keep them at bay this season through regular washing.
Acer buergerianum, Acer palmatum, Bougainvillea (something), Ficus microcarpa, Lagerstroemia indica 'Fauriei', Melaleuca styphelioides, Olea Europa, Prunus (something) 'Dwarf Apricot', Quercus robur, Ulmus parvifolia, Zelkova serrata
RevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by RevoEvoS »

Thats what have...now looking at aphids. Is it also a good idea to spray all of my bonsai with insecticide to prevent problems with the entire season
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Soapy water can help get rid of some pests. It dissolves their waterproof coat and they dehydrate. Soapy water is safe for your bonsai and also safe for you and most of the good bugs. It will not work on many pests.

Some people do spray all their bonsai several times each year to prevent bugs. I do not like to use more pesticide than necessary so I only use spray if pests are causing real problems - often the pests will just eat a few leaves but not endanger the plant. In many cases the pest will be controlled by a helpful bug but not if you spray because the spray will kill the good bugs as well as the bad ones.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pests and Diseases”