Lebanese cedar in trouble...

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Lebanese cedar in trouble...

Post by MoGanic »

KIRKY wrote:It looks stressed to me what was the soil like before you repotted? Also what was the condition of the tree before repotting?
Cheers
Kirky
Definitely stressed... problem is it could be anything.

When was the last application of fertiliser?
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Agreed it could be anything. The only way to narrow it down is to find out the history of when it started?
Before potting or after? If before possibly too much water soggy soil. Or lack of fertiliser. If after repotting could be stress from the repot too much root removal, too much water. The more info we get the more we can try to help.
Cedars do loose some of their needles, but the colour of this tree shows stress.
If it were mine, now I would allow soil to just about dry out then water with seasol for the next 4-6 weeks. Then introduce power feed or charlie carp and water intermitently seasol then feed etc.. Till Spring, late August introduce pallet feed and see how it goes.
:imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Reece wrote:Some more shots. The soil is only one month old. Ray Nescis standard mix. Hopefully it comes good.... Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I hope it pulls through for you Reece. I like it. It has a very rustic feel to it!
Mike
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers.
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Reece »

Hey guys. I think the site was down today? Anyway....

It started before the repot. Now that you have mentioned it I reckon it might be too much water and not enough fertilizer. I was very busy over summer and my bonsai's didn't get much love. I was basically keeping them alive. I guess you learn from your mistakes and this hopefully won't happen again! All of my other trees a doing well....

As far as the soil condition. I didn't see anything that looked "bad". What to you actually mean by soil condition? I feel like I need to take more notice next time.

@treeman. Yeah it's a cool tree. I baught it of Tien from Bonsai sensation when he was in Sydney for the market day 2 years ago. It's all of his handy work! I hope I haven't killed it!

MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

Reece wrote:Hey guys. I think the site was down today? Anyway....

It started before the repot. Now that you have mentioned it I reckon it might be too much water and not enough fertilizer. I was very busy over summer and my bonsai's didn't get much love. I was basically keeping them alive. I guess you learn from your mistakes and this hopefully won't happen again! All of my other trees a doing well....

As far as the soil condition. I didn't see anything that looked "bad". What to you actually mean by soil condition? I feel like I need to take more notice next time.

@treeman. Yeah it's a cool tree. I baught it of Tien from Bonsai sensation when he was in Sydney for the market day 2 years ago. It's all of his handy work! I hope I haven't killed it!

Give it some seasol to start off. I have a gut feeling it's lacking nutrients, and when you chopped some root and it's already stressed - doesn't help. Further, I fear it may have been too early in the year to further compound the stress and really give this boy a whalloping.

Me: "I don't feel good, I think I'm going to puke"
Wife: "What? How do you know"
Me: "Gut feeling..."

Good luck, hope it pulls through. Doubt my sarcastic humour helps but hey, I'd try anything - this ones worth saving for sure.

SEASOL SEASOL SEASOL (and given we're still having some good weather, get a couple of those fert cakes Tien has and break them in half, place the four halves around the plant - a week or two after you seasol it).
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

MoGanic wrote:
Reece wrote:Hey guys. I think the site was down today? Anyway....

Give it some seasol to start off. I have a gut feeling it's lacking nutrients, and when you chopped some root and it's already stressed - doesn't help. Further, I fear it may have been too early in the year to further compound the stress and really give this boy a whalloping.

Me: "I don't feel good, I think I'm going to puke"
Wife: "What? How do you know"
Me: "Gut feeling..."

Good luck, hope it pulls through. Doubt my sarcastic humour helps but hey, I'd try anything - this ones worth saving for sure.

SEASOL SEASOL SEASOL (and given we're still having some good weather, get a couple of those fert cakes Tien has and break them in half, place the four halves around the plant - a week or two after you seasol it).
Haha ok sounds good.

I'll keep you posted....

mountainman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Nepean & BSA

Post by mountainman »

It could also be scale looking at the bumps on the twigs.Just try blasting it off with the hose. It does work.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Did you take alot of root mass off ? i heard that lebanese cedars hate to have there roots touched too much . i have a old one very due for a repot this spring but im reluctant to take much off .
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

Matthew wrote:Did you take alot of root mass off ? i heard that lebanese cedars hate to have there roots touched too much . i have a old one very due for a repot this spring but im reluctant to take much off .
At a guess I would say about 30 percent....

MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

mountainman wrote:It could also be scale looking at the bumps on the twigs.Just try blasting it off with the hose. It does work.
Actually those are most likely the new buds...
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

This thing has poped a few buds! (Wipes sweat from brow)

MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

Excellent, warmer weather is coming in so we should be seeing growth on these.

DO NOT PRUNE ANYTHING for a few months, let it regain vigour, work in Autumn (I have done this and not seen any needle drop or anything of the like, keep roots in check by removing 1/3 MAX - u can go a lil harder but do this when your after-care is spot on, and you can remove a fair bit from the top so long as the buds stay on. I've worked these babies in late summer/early autumn and gotten a second flush of growth which is smaller and compact in needle size, but haven't yet been able to reliably replicate results. REALLY FINICKY BAST-FARDS these guys are).

For now, Seasol, don't let it ever dry out completely IME they hate it, and those slow release fert cakes from Bonsai Sensation (I'd almost eat them... they look that good).

Cheers for the update, glad to see it's pulling through.

Mo
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

MoGanic wrote:Excellent, warmer weather is coming in so we should be seeing growth on these.

DO NOT PRUNE ANYTHING for a few months, let it regain vigour, work in Autumn (I have done this and not seen any needle drop or anything of the like, keep roots in check by removing 1/3 MAX - u can go a lil harder but do this when your after-care is spot on, and you can remove a fair bit from the top so long as the buds stay on. I've worked these babies in late summer/early autumn and gotten a second flush of growth which is smaller and compact in needle size, but haven't yet been able to reliably replicate results. REALLY FINICKY BAST-FARDS these guys are).

For now, Seasol, don't let it ever dry out completely IME they hate it, and those slow release fert cakes from Bonsai Sensation (I'd almost eat them... they look that good).

Mo
Thanks Mo! You're a legend....

Can those firt cakes be shipped to Sydney by any chance?

MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

Reece wrote:
MoGanic wrote:Excellent, warmer weather is coming in so we should be seeing growth on these.

Mo

Haha would have to ask the man himself - I didn't even realise you're in Sydney so that's my bad.

His user ID on this is Bonsaisensation if I'm not mistaken and his actual name is Tien.

I believe he also has an online shop but not 100% on what is or isn't available on it.
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

MoGanic wrote:
Reece wrote:

Mo

Haha would have to ask the man himself - I didn't even realise you're in Sydney so that's my bad.

His user ID on this is Bonsaisensation if I'm not mistaken and his actual name is Tien.

I believe he also has an online shop but not 100% on what is or isn't available on it.
Yeah I looked at the shop and they weren't on there. I'll PM him. Thanks!

Return to “Pests and Diseases”