Fig disease update

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.

Fig disease update

Postby aubigfig50 » June 5th, 2017, 11:46 am

Just an update on the problems I have been having with my figs.
Original post viewtopic.php?f=133&t=24174
After close inspection of the underside of the leaves I found little brown bumps. These are present on all the effected leaves.
They seem to be some sort of thrip. I have sprayed with Conguard ( a systemic insecterside) and picked off all the effected leaves. I hope this will fix the problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aubigfig50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 50

Re: Fig disease update

Postby shibui » June 5th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Those look like scale insects. That's fairly common with figs. Oil sprays are effective. Systemics are also effective and Conguard says it controls scale so that should fix them.
Keep a sharp eye out in case they come back after a while.
The yellow leaves could be just the scale or it might be from a combination of scale and root problems.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Postby Redsonic » June 6th, 2017, 11:53 am

Thanks for sharing the update. It is always good to find a cause for plant problems. I have found scale on my Junipers, Callistemon and Schefflera, but not on my figs. Now I know it is something to watch out for!
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 2

Postby aubigfig50 » June 6th, 2017, 7:44 pm

I have had figs for over 30 years and never had this problem until 3 years ago. I hope spraying will solve the problem as it causes terrible die back of branches.

Redsonic wrote:Thanks for sharing the update. It is always good to find a cause for plant problems. I have found scale on my Junipers, Callistemon and Schefflera, but not on my figs. Now I know it is something to watch out for!
aubigfig50
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 50

Return to Pests and Diseases