Is this normal on my Japanese pagoda tree

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

Is this normal on my Japanese pagoda tree

Post by Joe.sab »

Hi all ,
I got this pagoda tree from seed three y old this season went normal accept this white things on the leaves
It starts like 4 months ago doesn’t effect the health of it, not sure if this normal or something serious .
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Is this normal on my Japanese pagoda tree

Post by shibui »

Scorched margins over summer are usually from being dry. It looks like it is on older leaves so that would indicate it has recovered and you have been watering better since then.
I'm not sure about the brown spots in the first picture. Could be related to being dry or it may be a pest sucking on the leaves. Check on the leaves and especially under the leaves for small brown lumps which would be scale insects or other small sucking insects.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

shibui wrote:Scorched margins over summer are usually from being dry. It looks like it is on older leaves so that would indicate it has recovered and you have been watering better since then.
I'm not sure about the brown spots in the first picture. Could be related to being dry or it may be a pest sucking on the leaves. Check on the leaves and especially under the leaves for small brown lumps which would be scale insects or other small sucking insects.
Thanks shibui for replying,
I checked it befor no pest in it I thought it’s smaller thing so I can’t see it these leaves is this season growth, maybe dried before in the hottest days not too sure, I’ll check again,
I wanted to ask you about the richgro bug killer doesn’t say which trees I can use it with, can I use it with all trees or there’s exceptions?
Appreciate your help.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have used Bug Killa on many trees. I do not know of any that it should not be used on but you should avoid using it while plants have flowers because it will kill any bees that visit and it has been suggested may even kill the entire beehive if they take small amounts back to the hive.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

shibui wrote:I have used Bug Killa on many trees. I do not know of any that it should not be used on but you should avoid using it while plants have flowers because it will kill any bees that visit and it has been suggested may even kill the entire beehive if they take small amounts back to the hive.
Hi shibui,
interesting, never thought about it this way, I’ll have to do some research, and will try for pagoda tree and see what’s going to happen, appreciate your advice ,
Cheers

Return to “Pests and Diseases”