Bye bye blackbirds.

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.

Re: Bye bye blackbirds.

Postby Ryceman3 » April 2nd, 2018, 11:38 am

It seems blackbirds have a thing for trident forests.
I came home yesterday to find this ...
Blackbirds.jpg

What is it with these birds and moss?? This was one of about half a dozen pots they targeted, preferring the ones with moss to do a bit of "gardening". It's the first time I've ever had an issue with blackbirds, and they were back again this morning ... at least 5 of them.

I have some SCAT and have read others have had success with it so I'll give it a go. How liberally should I be applying it and do I avoid foliage etc ?
Any advice/cautionary tales on application would be appreciated. The directions on the box are pretty vague.
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"NO CUTS, NO GLORY"
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Leucopogon Parviflorus, Elms, trees!
Bonsai Age: 3

Postby Raging Bull » April 2nd, 2018, 2:17 pm

Introduced species aren't the only pests. My son in law used to get bush turkeys in the garden on the N.S.W. north coast until they acquired a dog. The bush turkeys not only build huge mounds from mulch, but they also scratch holes in the lawn and everywhere else. I'm glad I only have the occasional possum to contend with. :roll:
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Any that survive
Bonsai Age:

Postby Watto » April 2nd, 2018, 7:41 pm

In my experience, SCAT should be sprayed on the areas around your trees and not on your trees. SCAT has worked for me but needs to be reapplied every two weeks or so.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age:
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Postby Ryceman3 » April 3rd, 2018, 7:16 am

Watto wrote:In my experience, SCAT should be sprayed on the areas around your trees and not on your trees. SCAT has worked for me but needs to be reapplied every two weeks or so.

Thanks Watto that's good info. :yes:
Is this a seasonal thing, or have they just discovered my little spot and are moving in permanently?? I'm hoping the former rather than the latter...!
"NO CUTS, NO GLORY"
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Postby shibui » April 3rd, 2018, 7:25 am

They seem to be at my trees all year round. I assume that when they have found a feeding place they visit regularly. They do learn quickly so when I manage to trap or kill a couple the others stay away for a while but they also remember so the survivors rarely fall for the same trick again.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 33
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Postby Ryceman3 » April 3rd, 2018, 8:58 am

shibui wrote:They seem to be at my trees all year round. I assume that when they have found a feeding place they visit regularly. They do learn quickly so when I manage to trap or kill a couple the others stay away for a while but they also remember so the survivors rarely fall for the same trick again.

Thanks shibui...
Hooray something to look forward to!! :palm:
"NO CUTS, NO GLORY"
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Postby Matthew » April 3rd, 2018, 11:55 am

Never actually had them in the bonsai. The garden is another story though. Had my first minor birds here the other day. No way are they taking a hold running out my rens,finches and honey eaters.12 gauge fixes everything. :twisted:
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: rockhampton bonsai club

Previous

Return to Pests and Diseases