Myrtle rust

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Myrtle rust

Post by Sno »

I have been trying to find information on myrtle rust .Specifically its environment , it's life cycle and what to look for in its early stages . I have some trees that are not in the myrtaceae family but that came from an area that has known cases of the rust and I am unsure if I have inadvertently brought it onto my property . I haven't seen any sign of the rust .
So how long is the life cycle ? I've had the trees since March should I have noticed something by now ? Are the spores dormant until the right conditions ? Are they cold tolerant ? Ie -5 temps ? Or anything else that I haven't asked that may be relevant ?
Cheers Sno
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Myrtle rust

Post by Max »

Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Thanks for that ' No Idea ' ,i have looked at that before and it's my main reason for asking these questions . The study from what I can see focuses on optimum conditions . I was wondering if we had information on the boundaries . Ie has it been found in say the Canberra region and survived , flourished through a winter ? Is it more to do with humidity than temperature ? Can it survive a drought with out been reintroduced ? Can it stay dormant i.e. can the life cycle survive longer than 3 weeks before the first symptoms ? The information that I have seen states it's native to South America but doesn't mention climate zones . It's in New Zealand but I can't find if it is in the more colder climes . For a national disaster I think we are being a bit complacent .
Cheers Sno
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Hi Sno,

This more recent report is far more comprehensive http://www.pbcrc.com.au/sites/default/f ... 202017.pdf

See also http://www.pbcrc.com.au/news/2016/pbcrc ... industries for a distribution map

Hope it helps
Terry
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I live on the Mid North Coast of NSW, about 1/2 south of Coffs Harbour and under 10 ks from the coast. I first observed Myrtle Rust in my nursery in 2011/12 during a very wet period of over 3 years. I destroyed some plants, but held on to a potted Backhousia anisata (Aniseed Myrtle) that I liked the trunk on. I also observed it on a Backhousia citriodora (Lemon Myrtle) planted on my property, a Syzigium jambos on a property close by that was very heavily infected and on Melaleuca quinquenervia trees by the beach.

Other than this year, the previous 4 years has been very dry and warm. The grass actually turned brown here :o During this time I have not observed myrtle rust at all. Both my Backhousia's are doing fine. This year has been a little wetter, although nothing on 2010 - 13, with more cloud cover this winter than the last 3-4 years so I'll be interested to see if it pops up again.

I know this is not answering your questions no, but may help to get a bit of a better picture. I know areas of the central coast seem to cop it pretty badly. Rory struggled with it for years and I think now just avoids susceptible species. Hugh Grant also struggles with it. But then he grows lots of Myrtaceae and his garden is by a damp gully. Be interesting if he has noticed changes over time??
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Oh Sno. I didn't even think of that :palm: Forgive me. Casuarina aren't affected, but not sure if there were spores from our area.

What dansai said is spot on.

I spray with triforine, which kills the myrtle rust dead. However, because myrtle rust is now endemic on the central coast. It just comes back routinely. Spraying simply kills the infection on a particular area.

If you notice a tree that has a problem in the myrtacea family, move it to the sunniest, windiest (open) position. Myrtle Rust thrives in damp, cool areas with minimal sun.
For some species its really bad, but on the whole I have only ever lost 1 Mels/Eucs/Leptos solely to Myrtle Rust. Being eaten by fauna combined with myrtle rust has killed them yes. However I have 2 exact species of Eucalyptus curtisii and identical Leptospermum that were grown apart. The ones that were in an open sunny area have never been affected by the rust, ever. The ones growing in the opposite, sheltered and less sunny areas are affected by it.

The only species which never overcame the myrtle rust was Eucalyptus nicholii

Knowing what I know now, I ensure the area is completely open and allowing for maximum sun penetration.
We get heavy due and heavy fog nearly every morning where we are, but I have won the battle with myrtle rust by keeping the area open and sunny.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Thanks Terry that's what I was looking for .

Hi Dansai .i hope you and your dad are well . It's interesting that you haven't noticed it in your nursery through the drier years .when you mention the Backhousia anisata did you treat or did it recover on its own ?
Cheers Sno
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Hi Rory . It's all good .i didn't think of it either untill later . I haven't noticed anything . I always keep new trees away in an area for a while anyway as a precaution against bugs and disease . The casuarina look healthy even in the dark of winter . I think they are great and I'm looking forward to playing with them . If it's going to get here it will in time anyway because there is so much stuff moving around the country . I just got a load of fire wood delivered today and the spores could be on that .
In our area ( the Monaro ) there are large areas of dead Manna gum trees which is not from mrtyle rust ,which we are not exactly sure why they died . The common theory is a weevil caused it .
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

No treatment on the Backhousia. Maybe Rory is on to something with his good sun and fresh air. I was studying at TAFE when I noticed it and one of the teachers who worked with farmers was commenting on the low sun shine hours we had been having due to regular cloud cover. That coupled with regular rain, floods and associated dampness would definitely give the conditions that I understand it too thrive in.

As a side, and maybe related, we definitely haven't had the mosquitoes in the last few years that we had during those wetter times. And thats with a fairly dank dam close by. Although we have had micro bats around too, which I have heard varying reports of them eating from 500 to 1500 mosquitoes a night!
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

i hope Gardening Australia do a story, this is very perplexing to say the least. Thankyou Sno for bringing it to our attention :(
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by dansai »

Looks like they did 7 years ago

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/factshe ... st/9432386

One of the things mentioned in one of the above articles is that Myrtle rust was talked about a lot when first detected, but has since fallen from view.
Last edited by dansai on July 5th, 2018, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

I have acquired a Leptospermum this week that unfortunately has Myrtle rust, I have it in isolation in the hope it doesn't infect my other trees while being treated. Today I went on the hunt for triforine as recommended by Rory and others on this forum to no avail, with the help of friendly staff at my local green shed I found Zaleton (as pictured) has anyone used this product and knows of its efficacy and any potential side effects?
Thanks in advance
Elmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Elmer on June 22nd, 2019, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Hi Elmer,

I actually don’t spray much anymore. The spores are so rampant throughout NSW I don’t see the point, unless it’s a really special tree. Instead I choose to grow species that have greater resistance.
What type of Lepto is it? Some have really good resistance and others not so much.
Keep it in a really open area, as much sun as possible and cut off any infected signs.
Certain species are useless against it like:
Agonis flexuosa for example would get it so bad that the tree couldn’t generate enough healthy leaves to fight the rate of infection that after a few years I just discarded all of them.
I don’t recall growing a lepto that Couldn’t overcome the rust. Provided you give it plenty of open air, fast drainage and don’t over water and give it as much sun as possible.

If you don’t have myrtle rust on your property and the tree does have it, it’s proably a safe assumption that your entire property has been compromised. But looking back, it’s not as bad as when I had really low levels of sun.
The rust will be a disaster in areas of low sun and for the young seedlings that are trying to sprout from the forest floor it will be a slim chance of survival I’d think. :(

But eventually I feel the species with medium tolerance will just take over the species with weaker resistamce.
It will possibly send some species extinct I’d say, but hopefully in time the rust doesn’t mutate into a faster growing form.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

Thanks Rory, knowing the history and story of this tree i am reluctant to let it succumb. Your comments regarding light and air correspond with all that i was told with this tree, for the last 2years it has not had either thus the current infection. ID is one of 3 potentials but so far it is species unknown.
I have sprayed it following the directions and my other Myrtaceae as a preventative. Hopefully now it has better conditions it can overcome this insidious interloper. I have to agree that it is likely many species are wiped out thanks to the greed of one who felt warranted in compromising biosecurity by avoiding quarantine.
Elmer

Return to “Pests and Diseases”