Help please,What are the diseases causing this??

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Help please,What are the diseases causing this??

Post by Raging Bull »

I have three pinus radiata, all dug as yamadori, and they are doing fine. I've had them for about a year and a half. Now one of them has put out some unusual looking needles, all twisted and stunted. Is this a disease or an insect causing this? It's not happening all over, only on the leader at the apex. After growing this deformed foliage it seems to be growing normally again. Should I remove the deformed growth or not worry about it?
The other problem is with a Flooded Gum (e. grandis) that I've had for several months. I bought it as tube stock and it's taken off like crazy, tripling in size in about 3 months. Now there seems to be a problem with the leaves, Is this a form of rust, and what can I do to rectify it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Help please,What are the diseases causing this??

Post by Raging Bull »

:bump:
Nobody knows? Anybody?? have any idea, especially regarding the Eucalypt? :lost:
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I have held off replying because my eucalyptus experience is limited, but very broadly i would say it looks more fungal than insect damage.

If it is fungal than it would likely need several treatments; as far as i have experienced a single spray treatment is usually unsuccessful in controlling fungus.

The pine is not something i have encountered with my own trees before. Have you tried unfurling the needles to check for insect activity inside? This seems the most logical to me as disease or damage would be more likely to cause the needles to brown in their usual shape rather than curl back.

I finish my comment with the caveat that i am certainly not an expert in this area, just some general observations nothing more.
Last edited by TimS on February 18th, 2019, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hey Frank,
At a wild guess - Maybe herbicide drift?
Have you or you're neighbours recently done any spraying for weeds etc?
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Re pines, looks like possibly a mite cause that deforms the new growth while still tightly coiled and ready to expand in spring growth or summer regrow this after candle removal.

Grant
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll investigate further. :reading: It definitely wasn't herbicide spray drift, but I'll persevere and hope the eucalyptus survives.
Cheers, Frank.
internode
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine, Scots Pine, Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest Inc.

Post by internode »

G'day Raging Bull, Re; the Pine, these deformed needles can sometimes be caused by herbicides in the area, however, if only one tree in a collection of three is effected, then it's rather unlikely to be that. The other likely possibility requires a little testing and a good close look. Gently pull on the new needles (the straight ones) at the tips, if the complete needles come away from their sheath with very little effort, it appears it may have been targeted by the "Pine Shoot Moth", research these things (European Pine shoot Moth) to get a full understanding of the adult egg laying activity in the Spring, followed up by the resultant Larvae boring initially into the base of needles, then burying themselves into the shoot tips. The good close look test can sometimes reveal where the Larvae (grub) has entered the tip, it remains there through the winter in preparation to hatch next Spring and repeat the same life cycle as its predecessor. This maybe somewhat scary, buy they are active here targeting stressed trees in less than good health. If this proves to be the problem, your other trees maybe in much better health than this one however, they will be touched in some way to a lesser degree. Good luck.
A Bud is a bud, a Candle is a candle, a Shoot is the end result of both. You can't decandle when there are none.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks for that Internode, I'll investigate that possibility too.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Not a pine expert but looking at it closely, looks like the tip of the sheath covering the needles didn’t open causing the needle to contort. Might just be a dry spell when the needles were emerging strengthening the sheath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Pests and Diseases”