Got a problem with grubs...

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Craig.a.c
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that doesn't die on me.
Bonsai Age: 1

Got a problem with grubs...

Post by Craig.a.c »

It's not Bonsai related but I have a problem with grubs or catapilers eating my herbs, mainly my basil and mint.
What would be the best thing to get rid of them?

Cheers - Craig.
"NARF"
Pinky.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Got a problem with grubs...

Post by Greth »

Something like Pup's garlic or chilli spray would be my first choice, especially for caterpillars/beetles. You will find recipes easily, basically just crush chillis and soak in water a while, strain out the bits and put into a cheap squirty bottle.
Have a really good look for signs of slugs or snails, tho, these herbs are most likely in a dampish situation, which would hint at those.
If so, I go for snailbait, never found an organic solution thats really effective on them, apart from the well aimed foot.
Due to mouth structure, caterpillars usually only eat from the edges of a leaf, slugs and snails have a raspy licky 'tongue' and make holes anywhere, even in the centre of a leaf, could be the clue you need.
Last edited by Greth on April 4th, 2010, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..

Return to “Pests and Diseases”