Bye bye blackbirds.

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Bye bye blackbirds.

Post by treeman »

I Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Black birds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are in plague proportions here because this is the only moist property in the area. They have reduced a 1 metre high compost pile to 10cm of mulch in no time.
KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
And while you're at it Starlings, and Mynas as well.

European song thrush on the other hand. No problem. Lovely song, eat snails, stay away from the fruit....... Nice birdy.
Last edited by treeman on March 8th, 2016, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

Mynah birds are definitely a serious pest and displace native birds . Blackbirds are also foreign invaders , do they also displace small native birds ?
Graham
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

We used to have a family of chuffs , I haven't seen them since the blackbirds came . I have noticed some of the smaller native birds coexisting with blackbirds , the wrens follow in the blackbirds wake getting what they miss . All the birds were more nervous because the blackbirds constantly call there warning cry . The problem with feral animals is while a bunny or Bambi or the colt from Old Regret may seem harmless in ones or two s when the numbers build up they dramatically change sensitive environments sometimes in ways we don't comprehend .
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Post by MoGanic »

No animal deserves to die just because it's annoying or an inconvenience. There are better ways to deal with this and these have been mentioned here and all over the internet.

The birds are merely trying to survive - as would any creature in the same circumstance.

If they don't belong here - perhaps the idiots who introduced them should be killed rather than the birds themselves.

If a bird moves your moss, or even kills one of your tree's, it is doing so in an attempt to find food for itself or to feed its young. I've lost tree's where birds have directly contributed to their death, and in fact I even lost a loved pet to a fox recently - but that doesn't mean I'll be killing foxes or birds next time I see them. I will better protect my tree's and pets in future as I have done and honestly it works out easier for me and means I don't kill anything.
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

MoGanic wrote:I will better protect my tree's and pets in future
Well said Mo! Prevention is better than cure!
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

treeman wrote:I Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate Black birds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are in plague proportions here because this is the only moist property in the area. They have reduced a 1 metre high compost pile to 10cm of mulch in no time.
KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
And while you're at it Starlings, and Mynas as well.

European song thrush on the other hand. No problem. Lovely song, eat snails, stay away from the fruit....... Nice birdy.

The blackbirds pull out ALOT of mulch etc in my garden . for such a little bird they move alot of STUFF and cause a big mess !! the Thrush's are fantastic and i have no problems with them at all as well as the honey eaters and rens, firetails etc .
cockatoos on the other hand are a pain ! I dont' have a myna within several km of me . They are all scared to visit me with good reason :twisted:
Last edited by Matthew on March 8th, 2016, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

MoGanic wrote:No animal deserves to die just because it's annoying or an inconvenience. There are better ways to deal with this and these have been mentioned here and all over the internet.
That is an interesting philosophy. I too am saddened to think that most animals are simply doing what they do. On the other hand, feral cats and cane toads often spring to mind as some of the reasons why the scientific community say that certain animals should be killed.
Essentially it is either them, or an absolute plethora of our beautiful and now endangered native animals that are killed by them, often to extinction. :crybye: I would love to hear a solution for them that doesn't involve killing them, but it has not and quite probably wont be discovered. Perhaps a virus that sterilizes the males would be a good solution? :fc:

We can all agree, that in hindsight cane toads should not have been introduced, nor cats for that matter. But we can't change the past and now we have to deal with the current situation of our native fauna.

In some ways, you could compare it to flora, in that everyone agrees a toxic or invasive weed should be eradicated, but on the other hand, applying the philosophy above would mean that the weed is simply introduced and trying to survive in a different environment too. ;)
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

I don't get blackbirds or mynas, I wonder if that is because of the the squadrons of Kookaburras that have the run of the place. Gotta love the RAAF :D

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Post by Stu »

Well said Rory. :clap: Animal pests require the same management as plant pests. Done humanely of course. Culling to save bonsai seems somewhat selfish but it will also help native species so do it for them. I do not often hear talk of saving foxes in Australia??
Stu
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

Stu wrote:Well said Rory. :clap: Animal pests require the same management as plant pests. Done humanely of course. Culling to save bonsai seems somewhat selfish but it will also help native species so do it for them. I do not often hear talk of saving foxes in Australia??
I talked of not killing them... does that count?
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

Rory wrote:
MoGanic wrote:No animal deserves to die just because it's annoying or an inconvenience. There are better ways to deal with this and these have been mentioned here and all over the internet.
That is an interesting philosophy. I too am saddened to think that most animals are simply doing what they do. On the other hand, feral cats and cane toads often spring to mind as some of the reasons why the scientific community say that certain animals should be killed.
Essentially it is either them, or an absolute plethora of our beautiful and now endangered native animals that are killed by them, often to extinction. :crybye: I would love to hear a solution for them that doesn't involve killing them, but it has not and quite probably wont be discovered. Perhaps a virus that sterilizes the males would be a good solution? :fc:

We can all agree, that in hindsight cane toads should not have been introduced, nor cats for that matter. But we can't change the past and now we have to deal with the current situation of our native fauna.

In some ways, you could compare it to flora, in that everyone agrees a toxic or invasive weed should be eradicated, but on the other hand, applying the philosophy above would mean that the weed is simply introduced and trying to survive in a different environment too. ;)
With birds/other animals though, I see it differently - it is not the birds fault and so they should not pay for our mistake. There are other options - one that springs to mind is de-sexing - rather than capturing and "humanely" murdering the birds, why not capture them and de-sex them instead? That way, any birds that are already born will have the opportunity to live out their entire life but won't be able to breed. I get it may be a little bit more expensive, perhaps risky to the bird, but it's better than the aim being to end their life. This also means that if the bird has babies it needs to tend do, it has a chance to get back to them too.

I get your point about the weeds, but would you rather have to pull the weeds/poison them etc... or would you rather not have had weeds in the first place? Prevention is key here. Stop them breeding - but let them live.

And just a point - Despite organisations being set up for the sole purpose of a. profits and b. killing birds/other animals - I have yet to see a species be completely eradicated. Prove me wrong - though I still won't agree with it. If killing them can make a difference, so can desexing or some other means - if killing them doesn't make a difference, nothing will.

Oh and foxes - like I said, they ate my pet rabbit, but I still wouldn't kill one. I just put barriers under my fence to stop them getting under - the fence is far too high for them to get over. I often see their little foot prints in the dirt of my front yard and it makes me smile because I know that we are co-existing.
Theodore
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society

Post by Theodore »

And you wonder why these things annoy me!

Sent from somewhere on planet earth using an iPad!
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Sammy D »

I like most have a blackbird problem. I would quite happily sit there and shoot them out the back with a slug gun. Problem is they are very flighty. ( probably cause i always chase them off like a loony). Also i dont want shoot my pots by accident ha ha and there are simply too many. I have tried a solution lately in putting fine grade bird mesh around the trunk and overhanging the pot makeing sure all moss is covered. So far 4months later moss is better than ever and no digging. Obviously does not look too good on the bench though and makes weeding the pots a little harder. Plus side is if you want to show it or have it as a centre piece at a party you have good moss. Also your trees dont get uprooted. A comprimise i know but seems to work for me. I keep my sanity ha ha and the birds as annoying as they are get to live.
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MoGanic »

Sammy D wrote:I like most have a blackbird problem. I would quite happily sit there and shoot them out the back with a slug gun. Problem is they are very flighty. ( probably cause i always chase them off like a loony). Also i dont want shoot my pots by accident ha ha and there are simply too many. I have tried a solution lately in putting fine grade bird mesh around the trunk and overhanging the pot makeing sure all moss is covered. So far 4months later moss is better than ever and no digging. Obviously does not look too good on the bench though and makes weeding the pots a little harder. Plus side is if you want to show it or have it as a centre piece at a party you have good moss. Also your trees dont get uprooted. A comprimise i know but seems to work for me. I keep my sanity ha ha and the birds as annoying as they are get to live.
Great solution. It is no doubt an inconvenience to have to cover your trees as described but like you say, the birds get to live.

Thank you for posting this.
Jimbomelville
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia & ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Jimbomelville »

I have a moss-covered trident maple forest they continually wreck.
They only touch it so I think I'll build it a playpen. Hopefully that will do it.
Great idea.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”