Bye bye blackbirds.

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Bye bye blackbirds.

Post by Ryceman3 »

It seems blackbirds have a thing for trident forests.
I came home yesterday to find this ...
Blackbirds.jpg
What is it with these birds and moss?? This was one of about half a dozen pots they targeted, preferring the ones with moss to do a bit of "gardening". It's the first time I've ever had an issue with blackbirds, and they were back again this morning ... at least 5 of them.

I have some SCAT and have read others have had success with it so I'll give it a go. How liberally should I be applying it and do I avoid foliage etc ?
Any advice/cautionary tales on application would be appreciated. The directions on the box are pretty vague.
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Introduced species aren't the only pests. My son in law used to get bush turkeys in the garden on the N.S.W. north coast until they acquired a dog. The bush turkeys not only build huge mounds from mulch, but they also scratch holes in the lawn and everywhere else. I'm glad I only have the occasional possum to contend with. :roll:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

In my experience, SCAT should be sprayed on the areas around your trees and not on your trees. SCAT has worked for me but needs to be reapplied every two weeks or so.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Watto wrote:In my experience, SCAT should be sprayed on the areas around your trees and not on your trees. SCAT has worked for me but needs to be reapplied every two weeks or so.
Thanks Watto that's good info. :yes:
Is this a seasonal thing, or have they just discovered my little spot and are moving in permanently?? I'm hoping the former rather than the latter...!
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

They seem to be at my trees all year round. I assume that when they have found a feeding place they visit regularly. They do learn quickly so when I manage to trap or kill a couple the others stay away for a while but they also remember so the survivors rarely fall for the same trick again.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

shibui wrote:They seem to be at my trees all year round. I assume that when they have found a feeding place they visit regularly. They do learn quickly so when I manage to trap or kill a couple the others stay away for a while but they also remember so the survivors rarely fall for the same trick again.
Thanks shibui...
Hooray something to look forward to!! :palm:
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Never actually had them in the bonsai. The garden is another story though. Had my first minor birds here the other day. No way are they taking a hold running out my rens,finches and honey eaters.12 gauge fixes everything. :twisted:
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

So the blackbirds have moved into my yard, they've stripped the bark off trees and ripped moss and soil out of pots. There is almost no tree unaffected! I have had some success with SCAT before but this time I'm getting out the air-rifle. How did the 12 gauge work out for you Matt?
shibui wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 7:25 am They do learn quickly...
Let's hope so. :evil:
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

When they are nesting the male will sing or call every evening within 10 metres of the nest . The nest will be in a bush . They are very territorial if the nest is disturbed they move on . Another will take its place in time .
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I don't have access to an armory, so i made do with tooth picks pushed through the moss, poking upward at odd angles. It took quite a few on the larger trees before it was enough of a deterrent but it did work.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

My step father uses toothpicks to good effect too. Me - I don't like the look - which is kind of ironic given that I butcher so many bonsai. :whistle: :palm:

Anyway - every now and then I do get birds knocking my moss off my bonsai. Aaargh but not the end of the world. They even toss moss out of pots where I am just keeping moss in a moist shady area for future bonsai. I guess they are hungry and after some worms.

My solution is to provide another food source. I have a wooden bird house that I purchased on a visit to QLD many years back. When I spread wild bird seed on that hanging in my Chinese Elm - flicking moss off my bonsai is obviously too hard and they don't seem to bother. Seed seems to attract a broader array of birds too - including rosellas from a nearby golf course.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Interesting that available bird seed stops blackbirds digging moss. I did not think they ate seed. I believe they eat fruit and invertebrates. I've never seen them at a feeder.
There used to be a theory that one should plant extra fruit trees so the birds could have some and you could have the rest. Seemed to work OK for a couple of years but inevitably the increased food meant increased survival and a build up in numbers until the birds were eating both theirs and mine again.
Blackbirds have increased in our garden from just a couple to over 20 now, despite regular open warfare. Inevitably the population pressure pushes one into my bonsai patch again.
When they are nesting the male will sing or call every evening within 10 metres of the nest . The nest will be in a bush . They are very territorial if the nest is disturbed they move on . Another will take its place in time .
I've found it quite difficult to locate nests despite thorough checks of all likely bushes. Then when the leaves drop there they are :lost: Very well camouflaged.
Not all nests are in bushes. These are very opportunistic and will build in any suitable location. I've regularly found blackbird nests among the starter trident maples in pots on the nursery benches - usually after the chicks hatch. Maybe I'm just not observant enough but I can't work out how they manage to build a nest and incubate eggs while I'm there every day.
Removing eggs just means the pair will start again straight away somewhere nearby. Our local environment officer told me he borrowed the eggs, lightly boiled them and returned them to the nest so the birds wasted a few weeks trying to hatch dead eggs. That delays breeding for a while but if I locate an active nest I'm more likely to lay in wait and remove the adult(s) which delays breeding more permanently.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

As usual, I have no idea :oops: ... perhaps the bird feeder encourages other birds which then creates more competition or brings foes of the black bird and they go and find different grounds to peck? Perhaps it was never black birds tossing my moss. Again, not a fool proof solution - just an idea that has worked for me in the past. Doesn’t mean I still don’t lose moss from time to time. Still happens every now then.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

I’m no vegan :shake: , still I find it Interesting how quick we are to kill for our trees... I find its a seasonal thing. Every spring my pots are raped for their moss by black birds. But it grows back. If it really annoys you a bit of gutter guard pinned down with some off cut of bonsai wire does the trick. I get more damage done by the basket balls being launched over the fence. A 25 year old Howitti in a Japanese pot and 20 year old Hinoki that have gone to the other side with yet another Japanese pot. Should I lay in wait for the inevitable basket ball (there are six balls currently in the back at the moment), or should I take aim at the 3 rascals who can’t get the ball in the hoop? Time and time again I have spoken to neighbours to take care, to no avail. The two ringtail possums who live in the Star Jasmine in the yard don’t do the damage of these kids. Sure they eat a bit of the roses in summer saves me pruning and some of the Camellia flowers in winter. Come to think about it they have only ever knocked over one empty pot because I left it in their way. I knew better at the time I just forgot to put it away. I take nature over neighbours. I wonder if old Howard would give me my gun back? I’d still have my Howitti, Hinoki and Japanese pots, and no basket balls! Perspective folks... its all in how you look at it.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Greg F
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine & juniper

Post by Greg F »

I was recommended SCAT from a Bunnings worker and was told to spray the moss and after a little while of doing so the moss started dying so if used probably best around the pots but can be pricey. Ive used plastic owls shich seem to help to an extent but the one method that worked was netting over the moss. Its a little annoying having to do this but I think its my best option at the moment. I can understand people with properties out of town resorting using guns to scare off birds.

Greg

Return to “Pests and Diseases”