Pinus, pot plants, and nursery stock - moving interstate.

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
luan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Pinus, pot plants, and nursery stock - moving interstate.

Post by luan »

I'm moving up to Queensland next year for work, but at some stage (probably after a couple of years) will be moving back to SA, so was checking out the http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/ website. It's confusing. Could our wiser members please help me out on a few questions?

SA -> QLD.
Moving in early February. http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/de ... sland.html
Q1. Is that a bad time to bare root my plants? I have Chinese elm, ash, black pine, crab apple, and olives.
Q2. Would it be simpler to call them "house/pot plants" and seek a permit? How much are the permits? How difficult are they to obtain?
Q3. Do I drive them up myself, or is it relatively easy to get a courier (preferred)?

QLD -> SA.
Not so much of a worry at the moment, but.... http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/de ... ralia.html
Q4. How come they won't let me take anything back at all?!?!? Is this going to be a one way trip for my plants?

Thanks heaps.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Pinus, pot plants, and nursery stock - moving interstate.

Post by anttal63 »

hey luan the only one out of that selection that wont mind bare rooting that time of the year is the olive. but that depend on the time frame of this process and how it is kept during that period. the chinese elm may also get away with it, operative word is may on that one. hope this helps. :D
Regards Antonio:
Andrew Ward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: The SA Bonsai Society Inc, Bendigo Bonsai Club

Post by Andrew Ward »

Nursery stock in potting mixture is moved all around Australia, with the exception of WA and Tasmania. I would recommend talking to someone at Quarantine rather than going through the internet. alternatively send them a question about the process.

I have had not issues with moving plants between Queensland, NSW, Victoria and SA. I did need quarantine certificates for Queensland to SA plants, especially a Fire Ant Certificate. You can not move 'soil' but 'potting mixture' is fine as I understand. I have moved plants using spaghnum around the roots, rather than potting mixture simply because spaghnum is lighter and has other qualities useful for the plants.

Good luck! ;)
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Andrew is pretty much on the money. The Quarantine station just out of renmark will not allow any plants with soil, but will allow potting mix.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

When the trees from WA were taken to Canberra, for the National collection ( which is to be featured on Gardening Australia this week ), the requirement was an inspection for green snail. Also the soil, it was asked what it contained.
As my mix is inert and the other growers I assume is the same, in being inert!.
Which is crushed granite coco peat ( as in choir peat blocks ) and Akadama.
We have been told if we wished they would be allowed back!!. At the cost involved I think they will be a permanent part of the collection.
So make your mix inert. Hope this is of help.

Pup :)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
luan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by luan »

Is spaghnum expensive? What are these "other" benefits for the plants? It may be easiest just to wrap them up with this spaghnum stuff and bring the pots along for the ride.... how long do you think a tree will survive in spaghnum in the back of a van/wagon? I guestimate the trip will take me 4-5 days...

Return to “Pests and Diseases”