wisteria

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Isaacary
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: casuarina cunninhamiana
Bonsai Age: 1

wisteria

Post by Isaacary »

Hey guys I'm kind of new to this forum and bonsaiing ( gardening in general) I've decided I might as well dive into the deep end and grow my bonsai from a seed I have started with a range of different ones my first batch of wisteria for some reason look like they have had some sort of bug (looks like a maggot) on the top of the pots I started growing them in I did some further investigation and have found they actually had burrowed out the seed and was growing inside it. At first I was worried about my other seeds. But then I looked around the other pots and he soil and couldn't find anything in the other ones. I then looked inside my second batch of wisteria and had found some on the top of my soil. I removed them but couldn't find any signs of a problem with those seeds. The only thing different between the first batch and he second was, the second one was germinated in a cup of water, and the first was not. I was wondering if anyone else has had this ?
Scooter_M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple, Wisteria
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: none

Re: wisteria

Post by Scooter_M »

Im sorry i dont have much to offer about your problem, but trying to save you some time, im sure you'll find the people that can help you will probably request a picture. Always easier for people to help you identify issues with a picture.

Cheers.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Yes, good pictures will always help.

Out of curiosity where did you get the seed from?
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Isaacary
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Isaacary »

Hey guys sorry I didn't upload a picture should have though about it. They picture with my finger is all there is left of the seed it looks like there eating the seed :( ImageImageImage
Isaacary
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Isaacary »

I forgot to mention I got the seeds from rareexoticseeds.com
dandybonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by dandybonsai »

:shake:

Not being from Australia, I hope you can see you have broken some laws.

I would put all pots,plants,soils and seeds into a fire.
Last edited by dandybonsai on October 20th, 2014, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

My guess from the pics is that you have kept the pots far too wet. Seeds will rot if they are constantly wet. The grubs may be fungus gnat larvae. They thrive in rotting organic matter but don't usually hurt seeds.

Dandybonsai is right. Importing seeds could bring in unwanted pests. Hope that you have not unleashed some horrible pest on us. Wisteria seed is easily available from most wisteria plants and reliable Aust suppliers. Why risk importing???
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Isaacary
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Isaacary »

The seeds went through customs fine :/ there was anther group of seeds in he same parcel that where not allowed into the country with out paying 95 to get fumagated. So I am assuming that they where ok to be allowed in or else they would have been held at customs as well. You see I thought it was from being far to wet as well but there is a group of 5 pots that where all getting the exact same amount of water but I shay try and not water them so much thank you :)
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Very pleased to hear that customs have checked your seed and approved it.

There is many things that can go wrong with germinating seed.
too wet is bad but it can be a delicate balance between too wet and too dry.

You said 1 batch was germinated in a cup of water. germinated :imo: means that the seed has sprouted and produced a root. Maybe you mean soaked for a few hours? Did you use hot water? - wisteria has a hard coat and can germinate better if the seed coat is cracked by heat like acacia seed but some should still grow even without treatment.
Sometimes purchased seed is old and will not grow. best results from fresh seed which you can pick from most wisteria vines in autumn and winter.
Sometimes fungal disease attacks seed just as it tries to germinate. Most often if they are kept too wet or too hot. I get best results when i put the pots outside in the wind and sun because fresh air and sunlight are great natural antibiotics(?) - certainly good for seeds and seedlings.
:fc: for some of the other seed to grow.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scooter_M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple, Wisteria
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Scooter_M »

If anything I can think of maybe curl grubs, they can be that small and feed on plant root. U can buy stuff like this http://ecoorganicgarden.com.au/products ... /eco-neem/ that may help

Return to “Pests and Diseases”