Juniper Squamata experiment.

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
stocaz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP

Re: Juniper Squamata experiment.

Post by stocaz »

Neli wrote:You must be careful because there is a similar viral disease that is infectious...
As long as it doesn't jump species I'm all good...
Last edited by stocaz on January 25th, 2015, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Well, I have waited and waited and sprayed and fed, and waited. It seems that once the tree has this problem it is inevitable that it is unworkable as Bonsai. Whole branches are lost and it seems you cannot bring it back. I stuck to the routine and created new growth but as soon as you think you have brought it back it appears elsewhere. I am now under the belief that "Prostrata" are a waste of time and should be left as they where meant to be, I.E groundcovers. I have now lost whole trees as it seems it shares itself readily. Only on the same species though. I will now have a Bonfire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
mjhc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Japanese black pine
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Bsv, bnw, vnbc

Post by mjhc »

Hello bodhi.
I've been watching this post closely as I also have a tree with this disease. I've noticed the tell tale signs of foliage colour. Like in your picture attached above. There is great variation in the green of the foliage (light green, dark green and blue green). Then the new growth gets attacked and dies off. Both your pics/tree and my tree have the same signs.
I've attached pics of the new growth on my apex as well as the difference in pad sizes from affected to unaffected areas.
The main thing that I have noticed is that when I feed, put in full sun the tree seems to respond and get better. Then the new growth is attacked. It also attacks higher up the tree for me, with lower pads intact and higher/apex the issues. This spring I aim to not feed or seasol and see if I can limit the growth and spray to see if I can get on top of it once and for all. I have noticed new growth hold up with Yates 'fungus gun' used. Though within 3 weeks of last spray it's back.
Thanks for your updates and ideas on treatment.
- Michael.
mjhc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mjhc »

Sorry. Forgot to attach pics.
See below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Yes i see, unfortunately there is a lot of prostrata out there. I am experimenting with another where i have scissor cut all the affected foliage leaving the deeper needles intact. Then sprayed it with copper oxychloride. I will see how that goes.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
onetree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Post by onetree »

At a demo in Redlands Bonsai Club I once heard Avril say she used Tomato Dust for mites,....
I have never seen mites on my junipers but one day I saw some ants in one of them,...
So I thought I'll give it old Tomato Dust a go,.... didn't look pretty for a while but got rid the ants and whatever else was in there,... the rain washed it all clean again,...Juniper took no harm and has been looking pretty ever since. Hope that helps somehow, good luck...
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

onetree wrote:At a demo in Redlands Bonsai Club I once heard Avril say she used Tomato Dust for mites,....
Thanks for the advice onetree. We are dealing with a fungus or viral infection but, what the hell, i will give it a go and see. Dont try ya dont get.
onetree
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Post by onetree »

I found this link for you. It looks like tomato dust has an interesting composition of materials,...
but see for yourself....also,... I heard about a wasp that lays its eggs into the trunk and when the little one's hatch,...
they bore in all directions but the one they came from,... and so effectively ringbarking the tree without even been seen,...
this may require some sort of dunking or systemic insecticide...
hope you can save it,...
http://www.yates.com.au/products/pest-c ... mato-dust/
mjhc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by mjhc »

Bodhi.
After seeing your post and the amount of stock you have lost, I was shocked. I've had this issue for a while and thought that it would somehow just be sorted with liquid copper. But after seeing those pics and the amount you have lost, I thought I'd better do something to stop this happening to myself and others. I hope you see your stock loss as positive inspiration to find a solution for others.

I stopped in and asked around at a few wholesaler plant farms in Melbourne and was guided down this path and I think this is the cause.

- Phomopsis tip blight
Sadly, after my searching I believe this is what we have. It is characterises by attacking the new growth (around new to 1 year old), along with the colour changes we have experienced until the tree is only left with old inefficient foliage, and then tree dies from a 'brother fungus' of this in Kabatina Twig Blight. This is also caused by the same parent fungus, but attacks the older foliage as the tree is weak and stressed.

The cause range from a lack of ventilation to over watering from above. But if there are spours in the area/air. It can be transmitted and infected with 8 hours of contact (breeze from an area of infection) at 80% humidity. (See website links below for more info).

The main management technique is to spray preventatively in spring with a fungicide that has an active ingredient of Benomyl in it. One the fungus takes hold, it's a different story though. It is suggested to cut out and remove any foliage at first sign. This is shattering to anyone that has worked hard to create any branch structure.

Looking deeper into it, there are recommendations and notes of success of using fungicides to remove from an infected tree. Everywhere I looked, the active ingredient has to be - mancozeb or thiophanate methyl.

For the mancozeb - Yates make such a product,
http://m.yates.com.au/products/disease- ... -miticide/
...there may be others out there as well.

As for thiophanate methyl, see below in section 8. The aust gov has recommended it not be allow for public sale or use on the 'home garden'
http://apvma.gov.au/node/12746

....I'm going to try the Yates mancozeb and let you know if I have any success.

Good luck, I hope this info helps you and any others with this issue.
- Michael.

More info on causes...,
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fungicide- ... 34031.html
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/p ... c2056.html
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamen ... isease.htm
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3056.html
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phomopsi ... of_juniper
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks for all that leg work mjhc :tu2:
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia

Post by Rory »

bodhidharma wrote:Thanks for all that leg work mjhc :tu2:
Bodhi...Probably a stupid suggestion, but have you asked any of the bonsai nursery owners. In NSW, Ray / Leong / Megumi would be more than happy to help with advice I'd think. That is a horrible affliction. :cry: Leong is more active online, and could probably help out I would think. I vaguely recall buying this exact species from Rays nursery about 17 years ago, but don't know if he still grows them. I have asked Ray and Megumi so, so many times for advice, they are like walking encylcopedias.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

could i be in the same boat as others :?: :?: Ive tried everything else so off to the big green shed to buy some...
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20472&start=15
ben17487
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ben17487 »

How are people progressing with treating their trees?
I seem to still be having trouble with this juniper. For the most part it has been growing very strongly but I have one branch that's not looking good again...

I've tried spraying over a few days but doesn't seem to be slowing it... Should I be hitting it harder? Or could it be related to something else?
ben17487
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ben17487 »

I've just read Michael's post which I hadn't seen before.. Thank you for the diligent research, have you had any luck with your methods?
I'll have a look for the products you've listed

Cheers,
Ben
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

I kept up the regime of Copper Oxychlorate and saved the tree but lost so much branching it is rendered useless as stock. Also not something i want to repeat and will not develop anymore "Prostrata" juniper. Interesting though that my shimpaku, squamata and my other juni's are not affected.
Last edited by bodhidharma on October 11th, 2016, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”