jUNIPER MITE??

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

jUNIPER MITE??

Post by Raymond »

This is my baby. viewtopic.php?f=131&t=16956
In the following pics you can see th damage the mite is doing. How in gods name do I get rid of it? Ive used MaxGaurd, Rose Shield and still no response. The little white buggers are spreading :palm: :palm:
Please Help!!
Piscineidiot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: jUNIPER MITE??

Post by Piscineidiot »

Have you tried Confidor?

Not sure if it works any differently than the other two, but I recently used it to get rid of some pine adelgids. It's a systemic pesticide, so it should kill any insects that ingest it.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

Have tried Confidor also...
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Sure they're mites? could it be Mildew? I can't really see on the pictures ...

Sorry for your struggle! Nothing worse than having your favourite go thru that and you feel powerless to fix it!

I've heard some people mention a copper based poison ... don't recall what it's name is.

Best of luck!
Last edited by Elmar on September 11th, 2015, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Raymond, they are not mites they are scales. I've had the same problem. Spray thouroughly with a oil twice 10 days apart. It might change the colour of the juniper but it works.
Mike
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Raymond,to check if you have mite(two spotted mite)simply put a piece of A4 white paper under the branch and then tap the branch a few times,if you see black,grey or red specks/dots on the paper moving then you have mite.To treat the mite and/or scale spray with lime sulphur at 5mls to a litre of water then repeat in 7 to 10 days.Spray under and over foliage and leave for a few hours then you simply hose off with tap water.If worried about contaminants to medium simply place a plastic bag around and over pot and tie off around trunk.Before you start take your tree to the shade,if to big to move,do just before night fall,or before sun up,never ever full sun or stinking hot days, shade or not for obvious reasons.In the future for maintenance do this in the colder months once in Autumn and then just before in spring,then periodic check through the year with paper as explained.I have found and listened to others and through watering from the top of foliage down greatly minimises bugs,good luck and hope that helps ...cheers Anthony
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

HELP!!! I have used everything recommended to me. I have alternated the chemicals and this is getting worse. I am really starting to woory that I may lose my baby. :o :o Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Use tweezers to remove dead needles and hiding places for the critters and spray with detergent. Naturasoap or any of the eco friendly household dish washing soaps.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

neem oil stops the chewing and sucking by the chewers and suckers but doesn't hurt the good predators-or the bees-
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

Gerard wrote:Use tweezers to remove dead needles and hiding places for the critters and spray with detergent. Naturasoap or any of the eco friendly household dish washing soaps.
Will do that this weekend, Thanks.
tgward wrote:neem oil stops the chewing and sucking by the chewers and suckers but doesn't hurt the good predators-or the bees-
Ive got some of that. Thanks again.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

PLEASE HELP??? I do believe i have gotten on top of the little critters, BUT :?: :?: :?: I feel this is still in poor health. I have been spraying the foliage with seasol, watering sparingly, every couple of days, but not too much each time. Seasol once a week, The tips continue to to brown off and i am afraid I will lose my baby, slowly and painfully...
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Post by MoGanic »

Raymond wrote:PLEASE HELP??? I do believe i have gotten on top of the little critters, BUT :?: :?: :?: I feel this is still in poor health. I have been spraying the foliage with seasol, watering sparingly, every couple of days, but not too much each time. Seasol once a week, The tips continue to to brown off and i am afraid I will lose my baby, slowly and painfully...
Is it still green under the bark?
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

MoGanic wrote:
Raymond wrote:PLEASE HELP??? I do believe i have gotten on top of the little critters, BUT :?: :?: :?: I feel this is still in poor health. I have been spraying the foliage with seasol, watering sparingly, every couple of days, but not too much each time. Seasol once a week, The tips continue to to brown off and i am afraid I will lose my baby, slowly and painfully...
Yeah Mo, some foliage is super healthy, with juvenile foliage flourishing. Other branches just seem to be struggling. I'm wondering if the raffia and wire job i did is having an effect? I'm also wondering if it might not be getting enough sun? This is the first season i have been really concerned about it. I am not the best with Junis, I have lost several in the past...
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Post by MoGanic »

Raymond wrote:
MoGanic wrote:
Yeah Mo, some foliage is super healthy, with juvenile foliage flourishing. Other branches just seem to be struggling. I'm wondering if the raffia and wire job i did is having an effect? I'm also wondering if it might not be getting enough sun? This is the first season i have been really concerned about it. I am not the best with Junis, I have lost several in the past...
Is it possible if you take some updated pics (close up as you have done but also some of the whole tree?).

I have noticed something similar on my Procumbens where new growth seems unaffected and only older foliage or foliage tips where no growth has occurred browns off.

Let's see how clearly I can explain what I'm thinking lol!

When a branchlette/foliage tip is growing, the older stuff goes brown and turns into the branch supporting the new foliage. This is 100% normal.

When I prune, it may be that I prune back to this section that is just about to brown off and become the branch supporting the foliage tip EXCEPT there is now no longer any foliage left for it to support. Instead of sprouting new buds, the branch just goes brown and eventually dies.

I've used all sorts of insecticides and fungicides including copper based fungicides, but it doesn't affect it one way or the other. It's also more apparent when I've just done some heavy bends.

Last time this happened to me, I simply removed any tips that had gone brown (clean, sharp scissors if necessary, but they should come off with just a touch if they're dead enough lol) then misted the remaining foliage a couple times a day until it was growing actively again.

This time, I've been lazy and left it as it is and it seems to have hindered the growth quite significantly - I haven't seen any noticeable growth on it since the start of Spring! Might need to go through and give it a clean up.

Cheers,
Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

Ill get some new pics in the morning and post. Thanks for the advise Mo, really appreciate it. I am very concerned about it, and will do whatever is neccessary to save her...

Return to “Pests and Diseases”