JBP and pest treatments info, help

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
gollum
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

JBP and pest treatments info, help

Post by gollum »

I am just looking through this pest section for all the treatments for
Mealy bugs on Japanese black pine
I noticed a few posts saying that pest oil will work effectively.

My question is - doesn't pest oil suffocate and kill pines?

I always avoid spraying them with it but I go full pelt on every other bonsai and garden plants regularly

I was also told by a bonsai enthusiast ,never spray pest oil on figs! I said I've been spraying heavily for years (30 +) my point is he was misinformed.

Anyway, I was hoping to treat my Jbp with something other than lime sulphur,
So far I have read the following treatments
Pest oil
Malathon
Rogor
Neem oil
Dish soap, also mixed with pest oil
Tomato dust mite powder
Full submersion in water

BTW I wouldn't buy Rogor as it's quite "nasty" but was also told it kills figs ( ?)

I wish there was a comprehensive lookup guide available but Google didn't reveal one for me, please post a link if you found one

Thanks for looking, comment please
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: JBP and pest treatments info, help

Post by shibui »

First you need to be sure about your pest. I'd be surprised if you had mealy bugs on a pine. Usually fluffy white things on pines are Pine Bark Adelgid. This reference is from the US but we do have the same bug here so the article will still be applicable. - http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/pine_bark_ ... hite_pines
The US reference cite oil sprays to reduce numbers but most experience here is that they will keep coming back. So far Rogor is the only thing I have used that gets rid of them permanently but other newer systemics may also give good control.
Pest oil is safe to use on plants as you have found on figs as long as you follow the directions. Most oil sprays say don't use when really cold or hot.

Good luck with getting rid of them. If they are adelgids they are tenacious little buggers and quite difficult to get rid of.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi gollum , mate i have used Rogor to control pests here including the Adelgid Shibui has mentioned . Unable to purchase it for a couple of years so I have had to switch to Yates Rose Shield last year to control/eleviate the Adelgid and this season I have sprayed a little earlier and haven't had any pests of any description .

No flowers at the time of spraying and all my entire garden copped a dose so no harm to the bee's , the follow up spray hasn't been necessary this year but if required I would avoid the flowering species , plenty of bees around and thats what i like to see.

Cheers Alpine
gollum
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by gollum »

Thanks shibui and alpine I appreciate your input
Adelgid yes I (wrongly ) thought they were a type of mealybug
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi charlie23 , I haven't had any major pest issues for some time now , the last 2 products I used were lime sulphur and rose shield . Both of these products are from Yates which are available at most nurseries or hardwares .

Used as directed they certainly helped sort the issues out here ..

Cheers Alpine

Return to “Pests and Diseases”