Oxalis

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies
Bonsai Age: 14

Oxalis

Post by banksia »

G'day everyone!
I've just returned from the local hospital after having several Oxalis seeds removed off my Cornea! :o ...an extremely painful experience I wish not to go through ever again.
Is there anyway to eradicate this beastly weed from my/our pots?

Cheers!
Anthony :tu:
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Oxalis

Post by Beano »

Oooooohhhhhhhh!!!!! I love playing with them, Even though it just spreads them... I wear glasses but I'll be careful now when I see them
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Banksia,

The only effective means of ridding oxalis from the pot that i can think of is with Glyphosate sold as Zero or Round-up.
I would mix a small amount in a cup (as per recommended dilution) and use a small paint brush to paint onto the leaf surface, careful not to over apply as the smallest amount upon the leaf's surface would be sufficient to kill the oxalis.
Unfortunately oxalis is one of those weeds that spread prolifically and you will need to continue applying as new plants grow.
Consistent applications will eventually win the battle.
It will help by never letting the plant flower by consistently removing flower heads.
Also use a standard pressurised spraying implement to eradicate surrounding ground growing plants.

Good luck,
Kevin
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I also apply glyphosate with a paint brush but use it either undiluted or 50/50 with water. I find it works better if you can get it onto most of the leaves of the weed so I try to paint the whole leaf surfaces of the weed. One of the problems with oxalis is that the seed is viable for many years so new ones will keep germinating for quite a few years so just keep on to and don't let them get old enough to flower. Oxalis also has small bulbs on the roots that can grow new plants so pulling the plant out does not always work. Sometimes the bulbs do not even get the glyphosate so new plants will grow in the pot. Just keep brushing whenever new plants appear.
You have also discovered that oxalis seed pods explode and shoot seeds quite a distance so you also need to eradicate all plants in the area to prevent new seeds landing in your pots.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pests and Diseases”