Dis-coloured Celtis leaves

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Dis-coloured Celtis leaves

Post by sheepdawg »

Hi everyone, I got this Celtis in September and training has been going well so far. I did some work on it awhile back and something has gone a bit funny. The leaves are turning a brown colour, with many brown spots underneath. I removed a bit of foliage when I did the work, but didn't change my watering routine, so could this be some early/mild root rot?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Dis-coloured Celtis leaves

Post by Grant Bowie »

Could be sunburn to the newly exposed leaves is one thought.

Grant
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

The last pic shows petty bad mite infestation. Spray with soapy water a few times to get rid of them. Keep the plant exposed to the elements. Full sun unless it's really hot (over 34C). These trees like to be fed heavily. Allow to dry between waterings. When it's growing well, it should dry out every day. (that means that you can no longer see evidence of moisture on the soil surface). This time of year, you should be able to almost see them growing. Many people are simply not giving their elms enough food and exposure.
Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I think Mike is correct. The speckled back of leaf is indicative of tiny sap suckers like mites. The damage will cause leaves to start to change colour and die. Try Mike's soapy water but I think you will need to keep treating every couple of weeks as new ones hatch out or try a miticide from the plant centre.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pests and Diseases”